Crazy glass surfing for months

Andrew Stevens

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2019
Messages
181
Reaction score
71
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a female blue throat triggerfish that does insane glass surfing every second of every day. She does eat, but then right back to glass surfing again. I’ve tried putting a towel up, rearranging and adding aquascape, even shining a light on the area she paces. Nothing. She has a male blue throat in with her that doesn’t glass surf anywhere near as badly.

The tank is a Waterbox Peninsula 5526 (170 gallon total which is 55”x26”x24”. I have a video, not sure how to upload it.

My biggest issue is that when I get a pet, I keep it for life. But after the worst month of my life, seeing my beautiful tank stresses me out because of her insane pacing on the spot. I would really appreciate any tips and tricks.

Thanks,

Andrew
 
To insert a video, select the icon (box with a +) two right of ^GIF^ , or use "Attach Files" and in both you need to find the video file (on your phone) and select the vid.

THis fish has been in your tank for over a year, do you have an intank grounding probe? It must be stressed by something.
 
Hello everyone,

I have a female blue throat triggerfish that does insane glass surfing every second of every day. She does eat, but then right back to glass surfing again. I’ve tried putting a towel up, rearranging and adding aquascape, even shining a light on the area she paces. Nothing. She has a male blue throat in with her that doesn’t glass surf anywhere near as badly.

The tank is a Waterbox Peninsula 5526 (170 gallon total which is 55”x26”x24”. I have a video, not sure how to upload it.

My biggest issue is that when I get a pet, I keep it for life. But after the worst month of my life, seeing my beautiful tank stresses me out because of her insane pacing on the spot. I would really appreciate any tips and tricks.

Thanks,

Andrew
After perusing your threads, it seems glass surfing has been around for 3 years. I noticed two threads in which you mentioned adding to rock scape.

If it’s not sufficient rock scape hiding places or stray electric current, then consider triggerfish as the problem.
 
Hello Kris and Subsea,

Thanks for your responses. Hopefully see attached or below a video of the trigger and my aquascape.

I do not have a grounding probe, but have never had any issues (that I know of) with stray electricity and the tank. I’ve never been shocked and have my hands in the tank a few times a week. Any way to verify if it could be this?

And Subsea, I’ve had this pair of triggerfish since February. I’ve had a lot of things go wrong with this tank over the years, and have had several triggerfish that have died for different reasons (ich, power outage, jumping while I cleaned the tank). Most of the male triggers that I’ve had have been the issue, but they calmed down with a female. This one is the opposite, and she won’t calm down despite having a really chill male.

I see your point about triggers being the problem, and frankly won’t get them ever again. But that still leaves me with the conundrum of what to do to help her as I really don’t want to get rid of her. Thank you
 
We have cockatiels, and I try to get up at first light to open the blinds so they can watch the sun rise. Maybe I am crazy, but I think this fish would love to swim out that window? Have you tried closing the blinds or curtains in the room and see if she settles down?
 
Hey Kris,

That’s great that you let your cockatiels see first light. Nothing better than trying to give an animal what they want.

We have opened and closed all the blinds, no change. We usually keep the blinds shut during the day, as we have no air conditioning at 8,700 feet and have to keep the house cool in summer.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new