Creating acrylic black out puzzles to battle Dinoflegellates.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a common place in the dynos treatment threads to state that phosphate and nitrate should be detectable, or to say that it is good to increase nitrate and phosphate levels.
My tank has been running for the last year with nitrate levels between 5 and 10 ppm and phosphate levels between 0,06 and 0,2 ppm. Usually nitrate is around 8 ppm and phosphate around 0,1 ppm, what makes a ratio around 80.
I don't know what the deal with nitrate and phosphates and dino's is... The last fight i had i think phosphates did get low less than 0.05 and nitrates were low too (less than 5ppm), but the dinos persisted when nutrients were raised.

For me, i dosed the reef brite rock cleaner bacteria, microbacter 7, live phyto, and just removed that bulsh*** however i could, basting, water changes, filter rolling, etc., getting it exposed to the UV.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the deal with nitrate and phosphates and dino's is... The last fight i had i think phosphates did get low less than 0.05 and nitrates were low too (less than 5ppm), but the dinos persisted when nutrients were raised.

For me, i dosed the reef brite rock cleaner bacteria, microbacter 7, live phyto, and just removed that bulsh*** however i could, basting, water changes, filter rolling, etc., getting it exposed to the UV.
MIcrobacter 7 is very popular in USA but difficult to find in Spain. I'm using Remediation Aquavitro from Seachem, Fritzyme 460 and now the new Fauna Marin ReBiotic. Phyto, I used to add Synechoccocus until the culture got spoiled.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MIcrobacter 7 is very popular in USA but difficult to find in Spain. I'm using Remediation Aquavitro from Seachem, Fritzyme 460 and now the new Fauna Marin ReBiotic. Phyto, I used to add Synechoccocus until the culture got spoiled.
I think any bacteria that eats fish poop and does not hurt corals is just fine... none of the commercial products survive long in the aquarium according to the guy that does bacteria DNA tests on tanks state side... It's just a matter, i think, of getting some bacteria in the tank in large amounts to outcompete the dinos temporarily.... Once they die back, hopefully long term microfauna in the tank can recover and keep dinos back from then on out..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back