Creating Super Saturated Solutions for Kalk, Calc, Alk, and Mag

Zach Mitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone attempted creating supersaturated solutions for Calcium, Alklinity, Magnesium, or Kalkwasser? I know that at room temperature you can add the following amounts before you get some left over settling to the bottom. Has anyone tried boiling water and making a supersaturated solution to dose with? My intention is decrease the ml required to dose per day so that wont need to fill up my dosing containers as often.

Calcium 1.5 cups / gallon
Alklinity 1.25 cups / gallon
Magnesium ?
Kalwasser 2 teaspoons / gallon

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happened when I deliberately created a supersaturated solution of calcium chloride: Calcium Chloride and moisture

But, seriously, by definition supersaturated solutions will want to crystallize out. For stable dosing solutions, you want them either right at or a little below saturation.

OP
OP
Z

Zach Mitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happened when I deliberately created a supersaturated solution of calcium chloride: Calcium Chloride and moisture

But, seriously, by definition supersaturated solutions will want to crystallize out. For stable dosing solutions, you want them either right at or a little below saturation.
Wow Thanks!

Any other options of how to get a higher saturation level to dose with? Or should i just invest in 5 gallon buckets and a cabinet :D

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why super potent is desirable, but if you use sodium hydroxide for the alk part you can make it almost as potent as you want.

FWIW, kalkwasser is less soluble in warm temps, not more soluble.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back