Crimson seaweed: What is your experience with red macroalgae?

What is your experience with red macroalgae?

• Red macroalgae has thrived in my tank

Votes: 92 25.8%
  • Red macroalgae has struggled in my tank

Votes: 66 18.5%
  • I have never kept red macroalgae

Votes: 188 52.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 2.8%

• Total voters

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a toothbrush to gently brush them off, usually gha grows on tissues that are not healthy/in necrosis.
Especially significant on my recently acquired Botryocladiam pyriformis (not sure, could be B. skottsbergii)
I'll have to try the toothbrush. When I have used a turkey bastor to suck the gha out, the red macro looks okay. When I get it off the rocks I can expose the coralline growing and that seems okay too but maybe it is all dieing off.

I like to say I'm an algae enthusiast - not an algae expert ;)

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to try the toothbrush. When I have used a turkey bastor to suck the gha out, the red macro looks okay. When I get it off the rocks I can expose the coralline growing and that seems okay too but maybe it is all dieing off.

I like to say I'm an algae enthusiast - not an algae expert ;)
just make sure to be gentle enough not to hurt the red macro haha
i wish I can post some pics right now but the format of my file is bad.

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 gallon macroalgae tank, with some sponge and gorgonian
never was I able to keep the red tree sponge though, the balls do good.
CEFA2131-04BA-4EEE-AC8D-F5B3B073183E.jpeg

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EGorman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added mine from Algae Barn about 3 weeks ago. It's TRIpled in size. My nitrates are higher than most feel comfortable with, but the macros love it apparently.
20230328_120643.jpg

I think it adds a cool natural look to the reef and also acts as a natural barrier between my euphyillia.
Looks fantastic! What type(s) of red macro are those? And how did you attach to the rock?

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8CB12B31-A30B-45DF-B5FE-0A0B74BD43A4.jpeg

After getting an urchin to help control GHA, I have been unable to keep any decorative macro algae in my main tank.
I also have an urchin on standby.
Once I received my macro for the display, I put him in a floating breeder box until I need him again. He gets fed nori to keep him happy and a couple of shells to decorate himself with. :)

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium is full of the pom pom variety. My chaeto was constantly overtaken by hair algae so I threw it out and tried the pom pom. It grows slower but my hair algae is gone. I run my fuge light 24/7 on a lower setting. It grows faster that way. I went from 3-4 pieces to a full refugium in about 3 months. I have all kinds of little critters in there with it now. Even though it's a small win I enjoy the ability to grow my own food for my herbivores.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to feed my foxface, hyppo tang and dwarf angel the codmium and dragon breath I grow in my macro tank. They love it. I will add caulerpa when I have a good supplies.
I only keep carnivore fish and snail in my macro tank, so my algae are safe until I decide to turn them into food.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red macro thrived in a nano under direct sunlight, I moved it downstairs to use as refugium for my large tank and it all died off...

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium is full of the pom pom variety. My chaeto was constantly overtaken by hair algae so I threw it out and tried the pom pom. It grows slower but my hair algae is gone. I run my fuge light 24/7 on a lower setting. It grows faster that way. I went from 3-4 pieces to a full refugium in about 3 months. I have all kinds of little critters in there with it now. Even though it's a small win I enjoy the ability to grow my own food for my herbivores.
I'm looking to test Pom Pom out for the same reasons. Taking a Triton approach of not pruning it and just letting it grow. Zero WC and ICP testing to replenish trace, as needed. Plus I need help raising my PH due to excess CO2 in our living space. Going to hook up the lighting to a controller and turn them off if PH rises too high but otherwise was planning on 24/7 as I had done in fresh and was successful at it.

You mention at a lower setting and I understand it originates mostly from deeper depths but thought it was also found shallow and perhaps how's collected in Florida. What were the adverse affects when running higher, if you don't mind me asking? Perhaps higher having it on 24/7 why the lower setting?

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to test Pom Pom out for the same reasons. Taking a Triton approach of not pruning it and just letting it grow. Zero WC and ICP testing to replenish trace, as needed. Plus I need help raising my PH due to excess CO2 in our living space. Going to hook up the lighting to a controller and turn them off if PH rises too high but otherwise was planning on 24/7 as I had done in fresh and was successful at it.

You mention at a lower setting and I understand it originates mostly from deeper depths but thought it was also found shallow and perhaps how's collected in Florida. What were the adverse affects when running higher, if you don't mind me asking? Perhaps higher having it on 24/7 why the lower setting?
Gracilaria include several species. The one known as Pom Pom is 'Hayi' a shallower water species.
In shallow water it is often found in very large clumps covered in colonial tunicates or encrusted with epiphytic bryozoans.
The coloration varies between deep crimson red to bright orange depending on the amount of light provided. It features a small holdfast that can be attached to rocks or left as a free floating specimen if desired.
Overall it is undemanding and will grow well under a variety of conditions even in low flow environments.
It's nutrient uptake is rated Fair to medium.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gracilaria include several species. The one known as Pom Pom is 'Hayi' a shallower water species.
In shallow water it is often found in very large clumps covered in colonial tunicates or encrusted with epiphytic bryozoans.
The coloration varies between deep crimson red to bright orange depending on the amount of light provided. It features a small holdfast that can be attached to rocks or left as a free floating specimen if desired.
Overall it is undemanding and will grow well under a variety of conditions even in low flow environments.
It's nutrient uptake is rated Fair to medium.
Thank you but I read that on the website as well and seeking personal experience from Flashsmith as he mentioned getting improved performance when limiting light intensity. Trying to understand why that was and perhaps duration of light period the reason behind it which is the approach I'm seeking to do. Probably similar to what is being discovered with corals as to light duration vs light intensity.

I'm assuming that by Pom Pom he was referring to Hayi.

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you but I read that on the website as well and seeking personal experience from Flashsmith as he mentioned getting improved performance when limiting light intensity. Trying to understand why that was and perhaps duration of light period the reason behind it which is the approach I'm seeking to do. Probably similar to what is being discovered with corals as to light duration vs light intensity.

I'm assuming that by Pom Pom he was referring to Hayi.

Oops sorry!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IU love the stuff, the color, the hardiness but they dont stand a chance with the amount of tangs I have

Back