critique my FOWLR stocking list please.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so as many of you know i am dreamed of a butterfly angle and tang tank for many years. there is a chance -slowly warring down the other half that I might pull the trigger on a red sea S1000!

the dems. are 83x26.5x 25 210 DT 265 total volume granted it's a bit smaller that what I was hoping for but I like the euro bracing alum. stand and slping sump and more.
+ "free" shipping is a big plus. the 300 I was looking at would be $900 ish shipped 3hrs away.
so I think this PNP system is my best bet. not 100% but seems that way.

for filtration I am thinking:
30" lifereef skimmer OR the red sea 900
2-5 gallons of seachem matrix
4 -5 cube ATS
in the split sump a display macro algae fuge OR if need be a cheato fuge
media reactor for GFO/carbon
57 W UV set for parasites

here is what I am thinking and of course this is the 1st draft and very subject to change. the tank will focus on butterflies and angels but will have a cpl tangs for algae controll and a few "must haves" for a FOWLR tank.

Dwarf angles:

flame
Coral beauty
Eibli
Bicolor

Butterflies:

copper band
long nose
Pearl-scale
Spotband
saddleback
maybe raccoon?

puffers:
Porcupine

large angels:
Regal Angelfish
maybe emp. angle??

wrasses:
Mystery
Harlequin Tusk

Tangs:
Naso
hippo or power blue
Yellow

Moorish Idol- *if I can find one eating from a source I trust.

other notable fish that almost made the list:

Desjardinii Sailfin Tang
blue spot puffer
emp. angle ( one of my all time fav. but think it will out grow this tank?)
Singapore Angel

very open to suggestions. not into aggressive fish like triggers tho, they just dont do it for me. I want a colorful happy peaceful tank vibe going on.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may or may not be able to have four dwarf angels. Strangely enough, even being small fish they're very territorial. I have midnight and coral beauty dwarf angels in my 160-gallon along with two other regular angels and they all get along great - but it took the two dwarfs a week to sort out 'living arrangements'. If you add them all at once you might be ok - but it's a coin toss.

With respect to the Red Sea tank, if you pull the trigger on the S-1000 one layout that lends itself well to the split-sump design is:

« Return Pump « Skimmer Chamber « Frag Tank
» Filter Socks » Media/Reactor Chamber » Refugium ^

Good luck with the new venture!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may or may not be able to have four dwarf angels. Strangely enough, even being small fish they're very territorial. I have midnight and coral beauty dwarf angels in my 160-gallon along with two other regular angels and they all get along great - but it took the two dwarfs a week to sort out 'living arrangements'. If you add them all at once you might be ok - but it's a coin toss.

With respect to the Red Sea tank, if you pull the trigger on the S-1000 one layout that lends itself well to the split-sump design is:

« Return Pump « Skimmer Chamber « Frag Tank
» Filter Socks » Media/Reactor Chamber » Refugium ^

Good luck with the new venture!

if I do get the S1000 the dwarfs would be added at once after QT. it wil be a huge pain to move a heavy tank this size so we will see. on one hand its exciting on the other my back hurts all ready thinking about it.

that is an interesting sump flow. i'll keep that in mind.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I do get the S1000 the dwarfs would be added at once after QT. it wil be a huge pain to move a heavy tank this size so we will see. on one hand its exciting on the other my back hurts all ready thinking about it.
We had five of us to move my 750XXL and 2 sets of glass suction cups (highly recommended).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back