Critique my new tank setup

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a FOWLR tank that I will be putting coral in when I can afford the lights and proper powerheads. I originally got a 60 gallon tank but noticed some crazing in the corner and decided it's not worth the risk. So now I've found a 135 gallon tank that has a sump. But I've already purchased some stuff for the smaller tank.

135 Gallon Tank 72x18x24
25 Gal Sump 30x16x12

100 lbs Carib Sea Live Sand
80 lbs Live Rock
Instant Ocean Salt
Bio-Spira
Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit
TDS Meter
RODI system
Hydrometer

Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FG1QF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4 SUNSUN 800gph Powerheads - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSRAR4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2 SUNSUN Powerhead/Pumps - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJNGKO6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Eheim Heaters
2 bulb 36" t5 HO fixture - The guy I bought it from had another, I'll prolly get another from him since I have a larger tank now.
3 Aqua Clear 70/300 HOB filters Thinking I'll run GFO and Carbon in these until I can afford reactors.

So I'm thinking I might be able to get by on what I have for a lightly stocked FOWLR tank and upgrade the filtration, lights, and pumps as I go. Any thoughts or ideas about what I'm doing here?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a FOWLR tank that I will be putting coral in when I can afford the lights and proper powerheads. I originally got a 60 gallon tank but noticed some crazing in the corner and decided it's not worth the risk. So now I've found a 135 gallon tank that has a sump. But I've already purchased some stuff for the smaller tank.

135 Gallon Tank 72x18x24
25 Gal Sump 30x16x12

100 lbs Carib Sea Live Sand
80 lbs Live Rock
Instant Ocean Salt
Bio-Spira
Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit
TDS Meter
RODI system
Hydrometer

Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FG1QF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4 SUNSUN 800gph Powerheads - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSRAR4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2 SUNSUN Powerhead/Pumps - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJNGKO6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Eheim Heaters
2 bulb 36" t5 HO fixture - The guy I bought it from had another, I'll prolly get another from him since I have a larger tank now.
3 Aqua Clear 70/300 HOB filters Thinking I'll run GFO and Carbon in these until I can afford reactors.

So I'm thinking I might be able to get by on what I have for a lightly stocked FOWLR tank and upgrade the filtration, lights, and pumps as I go. Any thoughts or ideas about what I'm doing here?
Congrats on the new tank setup! How are you going to treat the Live Rock to make sure no unwanted critters ride along?

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank setup! How are you going to treat the Live Rock to make sure no unwanted critters ride along?

I originally got 30 lbs of Pukani from BRS for the 60 gal but now I need more so I'm grabbing another 50 lbs from someone on craigslist. The first 30 I did a 24 hour bleach bath of ~10:1 mix. Then Dried for 48 hours then 24 hours in Ro with Prime and powerheads for agitation. Then I'm planning on doing the muriatic acid bath. But for the 50 I'm going to get this weekend, I think I'll skip the bleach. Doesn't seem necessary as the acid will kill whatever.

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only critique so far would be invest in a refractometer. Hydros are known to be off and inconsistent.

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I noticed most of the equipment you are buying is on the cheap side. I'm guessing this is because you are on a budget and plan on upgrading it down the road?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I noticed most of the equipment you are buying is on the cheap side. I'm guessing this is because you are on a budget and plan on upgrading it down the road?
Those SunSun powerheads sound like a low flying aircraft, circling above. Solution: Better - Hydor Koralia; Best Tunze 6085

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally got 30 lbs of Pukani from BRS for the 60 gal but now I need more so I'm grabbing another 50 lbs from someone on craigslist. The first 30 I did a 24 hour bleach bath of ~10:1 mix. Then Dried for 48 hours then 24 hours in Ro with Prime and powerheads for agitation. Then I'm planning on doing the muriatic acid bath. But for the 50 I'm going to get this weekend, I think I'll skip the bleach. Doesn't seem necessary as the acid will kill whatever.
Did you see that video by BRS about treating live rock? Pretty thorough investigation of the different methods that many use. Highly recommend it.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only critique so far would be invest in a refractometer. Hydros are known to be off and inconsistent.

I got one ordered. Just already had the hydrometer.

YA this was the plan and still is in some respects. But Now I've returned the HOB skimmer because I got a drilled tank that came with a skimmer/sump/return pump.

Did you see that video by BRS about treating live rock? Pretty thorough investigation of the different methods that many use. Highly recommend it.

Yea it looks like there is some benefit to doing both.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back