Critique my scape

  • Thread starter Thread starter angsess
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

angsess

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2026
Messages
56
Reaction score
33
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work in progress for my new 57 gallon Fiji Cube. My first real attempt at an aqua scape. Any advice or critiques welcome.
IMG_0728.jpeg
 
Looks great for coral perches but it might want more nooks for fishes to hang, if you’re going to have many fish?

What kind of things do you want to put in there with the rock?
 
Looks great for coral perches but it might want more nooks for fishes to hang, if you’re going to have many fish?

What kind of things do you want to put in there with the rock?
Hoping to do a mixed reef. I definitely want a variety of fish. I think what you are suggesting is more enclosed areas for fish?
 
Hoping to do a mixed reef. I definitely want a variety of fish. I think what you are suggesting is more enclosed areas for fish?
Kind of depends on the fishes body shape and size, but places where they can retreat and feel comfortable. Eels will use a pvc pipe (buried under the gravel) to find comfortable living, many gobies & Wrasse’ want a sand bed to dive or dig into. The tangs like narrow clefts, and the kind of hiding place depends on the fish that wants to be able to get out of sight if a predator swings by. Kind of difficult to describe, but I think you can get an idea.

Right now your rocks will allow lots of water movement, which is good for coral habitat. Additional hiding places will reduce this. I don’t have a perfect solution but those are my thoughts, hopefully they are helpful with this project!
 
Added a couple of pieces to give more hiding space.
IMG_0729.jpeg
 
I like the shape you have going but second the more hiding spots. More depth of rock with narrow little spaces for gobies, blennies even tang if you go that route.
 
I like the shape you have going but second the more hiding spots. More depth of rock with narrow little spaces for gobies, blennies even tang if you go that route.
Thanks for the advice. I don’t think my tank is big enough for tangs?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new