Critique please - cheap macro lens

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Canon 1D since it came out, I'd love to upgrade, but all my money is tied up in coral and glass. Picked up a supercheap Sigma 180 f5.6 macro lens for about $125 from keh.com the other day.

Suggestions?

pink.jpg

2fer.jpg

stag.jpg

slimer.jpg

redplanet.jpg

I've got some kenko extension tubes around that might help me with the magnification... just looking to get better at this, without buying the dream lenses.... Canon 100 and 180 Macros.

Alright guys, let me have it!

OP
OP
gnoles

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, no closer yet, the macro tubes didn't come out of the bag yet. My goal was just to get an idea on getting things in focus and producing accurate color. Next stop... magnification!

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty clear..
GET CLOSER!! yea
try shooting in the raw then adjust white balance after.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all but the second shot, you're overexposed. One stop "darker" would help. Part of the reason you're overexposed is that you are not filling the frame with your subject. The majority of your frame background/surroundings. Your camera's light meter is being fooled by those darker surroundings, causing the lighter-colored subject to be overexposed. All of the surrounding/background matter also detracts the viewer from the subject. Fill the frame more with the subject and adjust the exposure so the coral is properly exposed (no blown-out highlights). With a 180-mm lens, you will have not trouble getting much closer. Use a tripod to keep things in focus. Keep working at it.
Gary

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ The person to listen to! I learned a ton from Gary through reading his remarks and posts. Take a look at his site that is posted in his signature, he knows his stuff and always willing to help.

OP
OP
gnoles

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back for more...

sunsetfade.jpg

Probably should be posted in the "dying coral" forum... darkening, but polyp extension *sigh* Still overexposed.

appleberry.jpg

Appleberry... I think... the tubes helped close up the shot a bit.
clown.jpg

Overexposed, but refused to stay out of the way. No tube.

bluegreen.jpg

There are days I hate the head on my tripod. Fine adjustment is a pain!

nice.jpg

The second of my favorites, overexposed in spots, but I love seeing the fine detail in the darker areas.

Sensor dust will be the death of me.

Alright Gary, let me have it. :)

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, the images lack sharpness and depth of field control. The DOF issues are particularly evident in the SPS shots. The sharpness factor is the biggest issue. When you're using a 180-mm lens for macro work, any kind of movement/vibration will be very evident.

These montipora shots can be difficult, particularly when there isn't much difference in color between the polyps and encrusting tissue. Your original shot also includes considerable background that is brighter and draws the eye away from the relatively monotone coral. A shot that eliminates that background would give a stronger image. I tried to use the outgrowth as a point of interest, but couldn't eliminate all of the background.

sunsetfadetest.jpg

This one is a little better than the montipora. Again, I cropped out background to keep the emphasis on the coral. Better sharpness would help this quite a bit. I might have altered the color trying to give it more contrast and apparent sharpness.

appleberrytest.jpg

When shooting closeups of SPS colonies, DOF gets to be a real issue because nothing is ever in the same plane. You have to choose your composition carefully and have good DOF control. Sharpness again is an issue. I cropped out the blow tip because it tended to dominate the image.

bluegreentest.jpg

In the area that is in focus, this image starts to display the kind of sharpness you should work to achieve. Some nice detail and color in this one.

nicetest.jpg

OP
OP
gnoles

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last one is the only one that came out like I expected. The lens may be too much there, as I was on the front edge of the DoF when I shot it. To get the other branch, I have to physically move away from the tank. I'm using a cable release and once I'm focused, I'm not touching the tripod. I'm guessing this could be mirror slap. I've never used mirror lockup, so that suggestion will require a touch of advice. I'm assuming that you focus, get everything just so, set the mirror to lockup and then shoot.... any suggestions.

Also, most of the coral shots were with tubes and the macro lens. I also have a 70-200 2.8 lens and 500D diopter that I could pair together.

Thanks.

G

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back