Critique this Stock List for RSM130

rsmbudgetbuild2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Add me to the list of those getting back into the hobby on a budget RSM130 build. My last tank was a Biocube 29G which I unfortunately had to close down back in 2013.

I am preparing to start up my RSM130 “budget build” (which went from an <$500 budget to a <$1000 budget that its currently at to <$1500 after its all stocked) after finding a used RSM for a spectacular price of $100 holding water well in all chambers. Both circ pumps and fans all work I ordered and have received almost everything needed to start.

Original Skimmer will be replaced with Tunze 9001 DC Skimmer mated to Steve’s Media Basket for RSM130 with 10oz of chemi-pure elite , activated charcoal, purigen, filter pads and ceramic rings all throughout.

I’ve invested heavily into the best filtration you can get for this tank and can’t wait to get it put together.

will have roughly 40lbs of live rock ratio of 50/50 live:dry.

Lights will be brand new stock T5 actinics bulbs.

For substrate I have decided to go with arag alive black Hawaii reef sand. I have had good success with it over 10 years ago when it was far more coarse than now.

Please critique my stock list for me:

- pair of the smallest clownfish I can possibly find in the store. The tinier with the smallest max size estimation the better.
- 3-5 blue green chromis. Again, looking for specimens on the smaller side and I know they’re already relatively smaller fish. The goal is for them to school and swim together. Better to go with 3, 4, or 5 with that in mind?

- 1 Royal gramma

- So in total this is bringing us to 6-8 smaller fish.

- CUC: hermits, 1 sea urchin, cleaner shrimp, would like a star if it’s possible in this size anything I’m missing?

I want to start with this stock list, please let me know what you think and if the bio load would be sustainable. Thanks and look forward to chat with you all :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rsmbudgetbuild2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some pics of the tank and some aquascape design I’m deciding on while I wait on the lights and media basket to arrive in the mail.

IMG_3280.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3320.jpeg
    IMG_3320.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 12

NewbieC123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that tank and am currently upgrading. From what I have been told CUC don’t count. I have some macro algae.

I have 2 clown, 2 chromis (had 4 they killed 2) , 1 YWG, 1 yellow stripe goby, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 royal gamma, and 1 saddle puffer.

OP
OP
R

rsmbudgetbuild2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that tank and am currently upgrading. From what I have been told CUC don’t count. I have some macro algae.

I have 2 clown, 2 chromis (had 4 they killed 2) , 1 YWG, 1 yellow stripe goby, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 royal gamma, and 1 saddle puffer.
nice. let me know how it goes with that puffer and any corals, I'd love to add one.

I just had to do an emergency return on a CB angel that started nipping on a 40+ head hammer colony. Traded him in for a blue cleaner wrasse and some inverts.

Now my fish stock list is nearly complete :

- pair of black clowns
- royal gramma
- blue cleaner wrasse

I have room for one more interesting and friendly large fish or a couple small ones. A single blue flame damsel could possibly do ok I think and maybe the puffer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back