Critter Hunting - Best Methods

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Preface:​

I bought ocean rock and LOVE the life on it. However there are some species that should not be in an aquarium setting mixed reef. I am trying to catch any crabs, pistol shrimp, mantis shrimp, fireworms, and eunice worms (bristleworms can stay).

Methods Used Thus Far:​

• Worm trap with ro tubing leading into the bottle (no luck)
  • Night searching with red light (1 fireworm)
  • Temp matched Perrier water sprayed into holes over bucket (1 crab & 2 pistol shrimp)
  • Surgery on rock for algae (keeping misted) (1 crab)
Any help is appreciated. Everything I catch is going in my sump with my spare rocks minus the fireworm of course.

Mickle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on tank size I guess but what Ive done in the past is just skewer a chunk of raw shrimp and set it in an open area away from rock at night and wait for things to come to it. You could also try cutting a plastic bottle above the labeling, so you have a funnel shape, invert it into the bottle and put bait inside, I use this for catching tricky fish without tearing down my tank.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back