PRELUDESo I recently bought a setup from someone local who is moving and upgrading to a larger tank. He had the system running for a year. I ran into quite a few issues. First off we moved the tank and I did not clean the sand before setting it back up (rookie move). From that point, I ran into issues with high phosphates constantly. My Hannah ULR was pegging out at .90. This lead to a massive cyanobacteria problem. I mistakenly rushed into trying to get a refugium running, adding tons of CUC, and making decision after decision into fixing issues to get by. I finally decided that I was trying to make this tank into what I envisioned with a start that I wouldn't have done personally. I also was not happy with my choices in aquascaping already cycled wet rock. So I tore down my tank and sold all livestock to good homes. This was the tank and stand when I tore it down.
THE NEW Beginning
I asked my dad to help me with building a new stand. He makes tons of awesome furniture out of metal. So we started on this project the week of Christmas. We had a built-in bookshelf at my house that my wife graciously let me use as the new site for the tank. This is what it looked like before, it had shelves and cabinet doors but I forgot to take a picture before I took those off.
From here we did all the demo and ran two dedicated 20 amp GFI outlets. There was also lighting above that we removed and put an outlet up there as well for future tank lighting. We also cut holes in the back wall for fans to blow the humid air in the enclosed sump area into the garage.
We were now able to start the building process of the new stand and shelves. We used 2" square tubing 1/8" thickness for the entire metal framing. We then built the cabinet doors with wood trim and plywood since we wanted to paint instead of stain. The shelves we used stain grade glued wood and stained it dark to match the support beams of the house. For display tank and sump support, we used 3/4" plywood and the soft matting from BRS. I will just put all the progress pictures and if anyone has questions feel free to ask.
The beauty of this build is that the garage is directly behind the back wall. I will be posting updates periodically. But the plan is to have PVC plumbing running from my RO and saltwater containers into the sump area that will be controllable via switch-controlled surge protectors in the sump area. I am also going to install a pump in my sump with PVC running into the garage where I have my drain for my ac unit. This will allow me to quickly perform top-offs and water changes.
Currently I have the following equipment:
- 150 Gallon Aquarium 60"L x 24" D x 24"H
- Triton 40 Gallon Sump
- Jebao DC 15000 Return Pump
- (2) Jebao RW-8 Wavemakers
- Eheim Jager 300 watt Heater
- Micmol G1 Aqua Air for 60" tank
- Simplicity Protein Skimmer
- 180lbs Caribsea Live Rock
- Sand (unsure of brand and amount)
The equipment I am wanting:
- 48" Sunpower 6 bulb
- (2) Icecap 2k Gyres
- QT tank and equipment for Coral and Inverts
- Tunze 3155 ATO
- UV (undecided on brand/model)
SUPER PUMPED FOR THIS!!!
Huge shout out to @brandon429 for all the advice he has given me the last month or two.