Critter identification

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Can you guys please help me identify this?

IMG_5266.jpeg IMG_5267.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5269.mov
    20.9 MB
Last edited:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a gall crab of some sort, which live in the tissues of LPS coral. They are generally considered harmful since they irritate their hosts.
Where did you find it? It would be incredibly odd for it to leave it's coral host, so it might not be a gall after all.
@ISpeakForTheSeas can help you get a more detailed ID.

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a gall crab of some sort, which live in the tissues of LPS coral. They are generally considered harmful since they irritate their hosts.
Where did you find it? It would be incredibly odd for it to leave it's coral host, so it might not be a gall after all.
@ISpeakForTheSeas can help you get a more detailed ID.
On a trachyphyllia

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'm thinking that may be a molt rather than the crab itself, but - regardless - I'm fairly confident that's a pea crab of some variety (taxonomic family Pinnotheridae). Do you have any clams or other bivalves in the tank?

Edit: Based on the top of the shell, it's most likely Xanthasia murigera; it's known to inhabit giant clams.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still sounds like a gall crab to me. It won't survive long off of the coral, so flush or feed it to a fish.
Yeah, the reason I'm thinking X. murigera is because of this (pic taken from the video):
IMG_9536.jpeg

The pattern there with the heavy definition of the two swirls, the circle, and the little bridge shape between the swirls is very unusual; X. murigera is known to have these shapes heavily defined like this, and another genus of pea crabs are known to have a similar pattern but much less defined.

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'm thinking that may be a molt rather than the crab itself, but - regardless - I'm fairly confident that's a pea crab of some variety (taxonomic family Pinnotheridae). Do you have any clams or other bivalves in the tank?

Edit: Based on the top of the shell, it's most likely Xanthasia murigera; it's known to inhabit giant clams.
I do have a tridacna clam

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its moving and alive

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Should i kill it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back