I need help identifying these.

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

New Reefer here. Please help me identify these. Worth keeping? Will they spread like crazy? Thank you all?
IMG_3902.jpeg
IMG_3900.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will grow and spread. How fast is 'like crazy'? I can't say. They aren't very colorful. In a simple tank that isn't going to be filled with sps and lps corals over time, I'd say keep them. If you intend to have a colorful and sps &lps filled tank, get rid of them. Or at least have them on a rock that is isolated from the rest of the rockscape so they can't spread too far.

OP
OP
B

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never thrown a rock so far away in my life lol. Jk. Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Might not end up keeping these because of the color. Going to look up a way to break the rock and discard the palys safely. I appreciate you all.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin isnt a joke but I do tend to joke a little about how prevalent its become over the last 9-10 years of people freaking out about it. I will not joke here. If you dont know look it up as you have said. Good job in your willingness to research it. Wear ppe and follow all protocols involving its use. Get a hammer and chisel, break that part of the rock off or remove the entire rock. Keep them out of reach of children and pets. As for disposal I am not 100% sure how to go about it exactly but I would put them in a container wrap it in a bag or plastic and throw it away. May help to put it somewhere "safe" and let them dry out and die first.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin isnt a joke but I do tend to joke a little about how prevalent its become over the last 9-10 years of people freaking out about it. I will not joke here. If you dont know look it up as you have said. Good job in your willingness to research it. Wear ppe and follow all protocols involving its use. Get a hammer and chisel, break that part of the rock off or remove the entire rock. Keep them out of reach of children and pets. As for disposal I am not 100% sure how to go about it exactly but I would put them in a container wrap it in a bag or plastic and throw it away. May help to put it somewhere "safe" and let them dry out and die first.
Yes, I agree. People are way more scared of palytoxin poisoning now, then back then, but if there is a risk of getting hospitalized it's always better to take precautions.

It is very rare to get palytoxin posioning, and the most common way to get it is to eat sea food that is contaminated with it.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hit twice by paly-toxin sickness and it's no joke. Both times I was sick in bed with flu like symptoms along with chills and hot flashes.
Do you have any idea as to cause? I am not discounting you just curious as if it was user error or some other reason. I am going to be 100% honest I used to frag P. Grandis ( known to have this toxin) all the time. It used to grow like a weed in my previous reef. This time I got a 2 polyp frag a year ago and now have 4 polyps. I used to get that growth in a couple weeks. I have fragged and interacted with this coral so many time with 0 ppe. I have never felt fine before messing with my reef and ended up sick after. Probably lucky, or maybe ones that are not wild dont have the toxin or as much. I would really like to hear what people that have been confirmed as poisoned actually did or didnt do to get poisoned. I get the stories of someone boiling them causing everyone in the house to get sick, thats just dumb. (sorry if thats what you did but common sense and all).

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the toxin is in the slime that zoas & palys produce when stressed like being taken out of the water or treated with hydrogen peroxide to remove algae. I was hit the first time when I was doing a lot of handling of zoas while re-arranging the rockscape. After that I was more careful.

Then I had an outbreak of algae and treated rocks with zoas by putting them in a hydrogen peroxide bath. Again I did it without gloves because I only handled them for a very short time. My best guess is they produced more toxin due to the bath and I got sick again.

BTW, the start of my feeling sick was about 8 to 12 hours after handling the zoas. The hours from 12 to 36 after handling the zoas was the worst. After 48 to 60 hours I was pretty much back to normal. And it was bad enough that I will never again deal with zoas or palys without wearing gloves.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arm length yellow gloves, safety glasses, close your mouth.

Chisel away. Or just throw that rock into the woods it isn't worth it.

They will cover everything and grow fast as mine did. New rock is cheap.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello guys,

New Reefer here. Please help me identify these. Worth keeping? Will they spread like crazy? Thank you all?
IMG_3902.jpeg
IMG_3900.jpeg
Looks like purple death Palys and on my behalf, I used a pipette with a Kalkwasser paste and it melted them down. I had to repeat once, but it worked

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, I’ll remove the whole rock block (if not too big).

Use gloves and eye cover. Try to don’t damage them at any cost.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back