Can Someone Help Identifying These Torches?

skylar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help identifying these 3 types of torches please. Much appreciated.

20240402_141353(1).jpg

20240402_141348(1).jpg

20240402_141333.jpg

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and third picture look like Dragon Soul. First has more gold color somewhat similar to a Hellfire but not as much as I would want to see in a true Hellfire. Second photo is hard to tell due to picture quality. It could be either a normal Indo green torch or some holy grail variant but without the mix of green going to yellow/gold I would want to see in a high quality holy grail. If it is not a holy grail (I don't think it is) then it will look like a cotton candy green coral under most lighting other than the 150%+ blues which make the tips appear blue rather than pink.

Here are three vendor pictures of green torch variants I have. The first two were sold as holy grails and look similar to the first picture in person even with a lot of white lighting. The third I can make look like the picture if I full blast my blues but under non-Windex blue conditions the tips are pink (not blue) and the tenacles are not nearly as bright as the two other torches which were sold as holy grail. Of the three the second is the most bright in person and is the single brightest coral in my tank. The first came more green than expected but after one month has developed more gold/yellow. The third is a nice torch but is essentially a cotton candy that is brighter than the cotton candy I purchased from another very well known vendor.

At some point I plan to do a comparison of all the torches I have under different lighting conditions but I need to gather more torches first . . .

IMG_3709.jpeg IMG_3777.jpeg IMG_3781.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skylar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and third picture look like Dragon Soul. First has more gold color somewhat similar to a Hellfire but not as much as I would want to see in a true Hellfire. Second photo is hard to tell due to picture quality. It could be either a normal Indo green torch or some holy grail variant but without the mix of green going to yellow/gold I would want to see in a high quality holy grail. If it is not a holy grail (I don't think it is) then it will look like a cotton candy green coral under most lighting other than the 150%+ blues which make the tips appear blue rather than pink.

Here are three vendor pictures of green torch variants I have. The first two were sold as holy grails and look similar to the first picture in person even with a lot of white lighting. The third I can make look like the picture if I full blast my blues but under non-Windex blue conditions the tips are pink (not blue) and the tenacles are not nearly as bright as the two other torches which were sold as holy grail. Of the three the second is the most bright in person and is the single brightest coral in my tank. The first came more green than expected but after one month has developed more gold/yellow. The third is a nice torch but is essentially a cotton candy that is brighter than the cotton candy I purchased from another very well known vendor.

At some point I plan to do a comparison of all the torches I have under different lighting conditions but I need to gather more torches first . . .

IMG_3709.jpeg IMG_3777.jpeg IMG_3781.jpeg
Wow thank you for that fast response. So I think I bought a dragon soul. Any idea what the torch in third pic would be that's above dragon soul? The person was selling both at 70 each which I think was a great deal. Here I'm attaching another pic of the second pic. I'm guessing, like you said, it's cotton candy
20240405_180017.jpg

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you for that fast response. So I think I bought a dragon soul. Any idea what the torch in third pic would be that's above dragon soul? The person was selling both at 70 each which I think was a great deal. Here I'm attaching another pic of the second pic. I'm guessing, like you said, it's cotton candy
20240405_180017.jpg
In the third picture the two torches up top look like dragon soul. The one on bottom is harder to tell other than it is likely some Indo torch with purple base and some gold in tenacles. $70 is a reasonable price for any of the torches pictured. Sometimes you can get cotton candy and dragon soul for cheaper but some vendors also sell those for more.

Coloration can vary materially within any variety and will also change depending on tank conditions. I have an LFS that imports a lot of torches. They try to group torches based on similar attributes but within their Hellfire collection for instance they may have 30+ frags and there may be a select few that are brighter than the rest that came in on the same shipment. This may be due to the specific colony they were cut from or maybe some frags acclimate more quickly or better than others. Lots of variability in torches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skylar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the third picture the two torches up top look like dragon soul. The one on bottom is harder to tell other than it is likely some Indo torch with purple base and some gold in tenacles. $70 is a reasonable for any of the torches pictured.
Ah okay thank you thank you

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240405_180017.jpg
It looks like a NY Knicks torch, very similar to a Dragon Soul . Really need to see them together to tell them apart.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im thinking green and dragon soul

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back