Critter in live rock

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this critter filter feeding on some of the live rock I got a month or so ago. I've seen sea cucumber mouths that sort of look like this. Any ideas on what it is? PXL_20231209_153419417.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see the video, but the tentacles in the photo do indeed look like those of a filter-feeding sea cucumber. Due to their feeding habits, they are said to be more difficult to care for compared to their detritivorous cousins, but I am unsure about how hardy a hitchhiking filter-feeding sea cucumber would prove to be.
@Sharkbait19
@Tired

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, I can see the video working on my end, wonder if I did something wrong. Thanks for the input so far everyone. It looks almost like it's embedded into the rock, not something crawling along it. I will continue to look for it when the lights go off tonight or tomorrow morning.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, I can see the video working on my end, wonder if I did something wrong. Thanks for the input so far everyone. It looks almost like it's embedded into the rock, not something crawling along it. I will continue to look for it when the lights go off tonight or tomorrow morning.
It’s just the way r2r and iPhone work/don’t work together.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't see the video, but I can see the photo, and I have several sea cucumbers on my live rock that look essentially the same. They've been on there for over a year now and haven't died or shrunk, so they seem to be doing okay, though they're growing very slowly.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the live rock from FL ? We got a red footed cucumber from TBA and it's feeding apparatus looks just like that. He has been in the tank for 12 weeks and is still kicking.
The live rock is from Tampa Bay Saltwater. That could be it. I don't see it's body at all, so it must have just jammed itself into the rock. I've heard cucumbers can be toxic if they die. Does anyone have experience with that? I'm wondering if it's worth trying to remove it while I know where it is.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the live rock from FL ? We got a red footed cucumber from TBA and it's feeding apparatus looks just like that. He has been in the tank for 12 weeks and is still kicking.
Ah, the pictures of these online look just like what I have! Also Florida rock here. I don't normally see the body at all, just the feeding apparatus (which looks slightly different on a couple of them- not sure if I have two species), and sometimes not even that. Did get a look at them when the rock was freshly arrived.

Cucumbers can be a problem when they die, but I believe that's only a concern with large ones. With small ones, it's much more diluted, and they're far less likely to starve in the first place. You'd probably have a lot of trouble getting it out, too- they fit their whole body into a hole and stay in there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back