crocea clam color

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2019
Messages
1,642
Reaction score
1,332
Location
Williamstown NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased my first crocea clam a week or two ago and was wondering. Do crocea clams change color as they age?
 
I just purchased my first crocea clam a week or two ago and was wondering. Do crocea clams change color as they age?
They usually don’t
Take a look at lighting as light allows them to produce zooxanthellae which gives them their color
 
I have not noticed any change in color with aging on mine. My oldest were full grown when I got them, but I have a bunch of new babies and they are growing nicely with no changes in color yet.
 
I noticed that my blacks were blacker under higher light. More purplish black (in an undesirable way) under lower light. The contrast between dark black and metallic blue was stunning.
 
Remember, the clams will appear different from different angles and the light you use for them. My green crocea was purple from the front and bright green from the top. Crazy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new