OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dyno, my first marine tank was a fish only swim tank. 5 Yellow Tangs in a 55 gallon tank. 1982 was the year. (I was 24) Have kept involved with salt water marine and planted tanks up until early 90s. Things really started changing for the better in the reefing hobby with filtration, lighting etc. I would get all of the latest equipment. But by 2015 I was really encouraged by the lighting technology. LEDs made all of the difference for me. No more metal halides, no more computer fans on the canopy. So many new developments. Just love it all. Thanks for the question.
Thanks for sharing. 1982, wow...I bet yellow tangs were super cheap back then. I still miss old equipment so much. Loved the colors my metal halide spot created and hated the heat. I miss my CPR Back-pack skimmer too

R. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. 1982, wow...I bet yellow tangs were super cheap back then. I still miss old equipment so much. Loved the colors my metal halide spot created and hated the heat. I miss my CPR Back-pack skimmer too
lol cpr back pack was my first skimmer back in the day. just got back into reefing and things have changed.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol cpr back pack was my first skimmer back in the day. just got back into reefing and things have changed.
Yup, Trickle Filters and Berlin Skimmers!!! Now my 180 sports a Curve 7 and LEDs. Definitely an improvement.
7275E953-C9AF-4357-B5B7-8F8A6BA95204.jpeg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dyno, my first marine tank was a fish only swim tank. 5 Yellow Tangs in a 55 gallon tank. 1982 was the year. (I was 24) Have kept involved with salt water marine and planted tanks up until early 90s. Things really started changing for the better in the reefing hobby with filtration, lighting etc. I would get all of the latest equipment. But by 2015 I was really encouraged by the lighting technology. LEDs made all of the difference for me. No more metal halides, no more computer fans on the canopy. So many new developments. Just love it all. Thanks for the question.
A little clarification: I had freshwater tanks from the late 1960s-1970s. I sure hope this doesn’t get me kicked off of R2R?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a redsea prism for the skimmer and a coralife vho fixture. I can honestly say that I do not miss those days of struggling to keep a box of brown stuff alive.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a redsea prism for the skimmer and a coralife vho fixture. I can honestly say that I do not miss those days of struggling to keep a box of brown stuff alive.
Icecap VHO were my first high end lights. Then the arm-hair burning metal halides. Sigh.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little clarification: I had freshwater tanks from the late 1960s-1970s. I sure hope this doesn’t get me kicked off of R2R?
I don't think so because I am still here and go into the 50s. The early 50s so it is nice to meet a fellow Geezer. ;Pompus

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so because I am still here and go into the 50s. The early 50s so it is nice to meet a fellow Geezer. ;Pompus
Greetings Paul B. Nice to meet you! Nothing like experience and that sixth sense to make our hobby that much more successful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back