Midas Blenny - interesting behaviour with other fish

skellei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Midas Blennys in my reef tank which get on very well together.

The brighter of the two is a typical Midas Blenny - spends a lot of its time, in its favourite hole watching the world go by and will occasionally argue with other fish or even get chased if it gets too close to the likes of the six line wrasse that I have.

The other one is paler (which I know is normally not a good sign) and spends most of the time swimming. It is also almost totally ignored by all of my other fish. I have even seen it, several times, almost nuzzle up to my Royal Gramma in its Royal Gramma’s hole and the royal gramma (which is a relatively large fish which I’ve had for at least 5 years) just either tolerates/ ignores it or it swims off and leaves it to it.

I just find this very unfish like behaviour and wonder if anyone can explain it or has experienced anything similar.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two Midas Blennys in my reef tank which get on very well together.

The brighter of the two is a typical Midas Blenny - spends a lot of its time, in its favourite hole watching the world go by and will occasionally argue with other fish or even get chased if it gets too close to the likes of the six line wrasse that I have.

The other one is paler (which I know is normally not a good sign) and spends most of the time swimming. It is also almost totally ignored by all of my other fish. I have even seen it, several times, almost nuzzle up to my Royal Gramma in its Royal Gramma’s hole and the royal gramma (which is a relatively large fish which I’ve had for at least 5 years) just either tolerates/ ignores it or it swims off and leaves it to it.

I just find this very unfish like behaviour and wonder if anyone can explain it or has experienced anything similar.
Hard to assess or envision from description. Often a video , at least 20 seconds under white lighting will often reveal something out of the ordinary

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back