Leopard wrasse as next fish..?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tchat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tchat

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2026
Messages
49
Reaction score
29
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a roughly 2 month old 80 gal tank. 1.5”-2” sand bed made with the top layer being from TBS ultra live sand.

I have so far added the beginner fish: watchman goby, Midas blenny, royal gramma, firefish, clown pair..

According to Elliot from marine collectors the leopard wrasse “difficulty” reputation is almost entirely due to poor tolerance of shipping and once they are settled are no more difficult than a melanarus wrasse. I have made a DIY acclimation box that I can stick in the sand bed (a 3 sided box, internal overflow shaped, shoved into the sand).

I plan to order from dr reefs and add to the box. Ensuring that it is eating and recovering from shipping stress before release.

Bad idea? Want to see if there are other reasons these fish are considered “expert only” before I pull the trigger
 
I have a roughly 2 month old 80 gal tank. 1.5”-2” sand bed made with the top layer being from TBS ultra live sand.

I have so far added the beginner fish: watchman goby, Midas blenny, royal gramma, firefish, clown pair..

According to Elliot from marine collectors the leopard wrasse “difficulty” reputation is almost entirely due to poor tolerance of shipping and once they are settled are no more difficult than a melanarus wrasse. I have made a DIY acclimation box that I can stick in the sand bed (a 3 sided box, internal overflow shaped, shoved into the sand).

I plan to order from dr reefs and add to the box. Ensuring that it is eating and recovering from shipping stress before release.

Bad idea? Want to see if there are other reasons these fish are considered “expert only” before I pull the trigger
what you were told is right they are fine once settled but as you know the problem is they take shipping and acclimation very badly which leads to high loss rate during these stages, I would say sourcing one locally is your best bet as it well have survived all the tough parts
 
I have a roughly 2 month old 80 gal tank. 1.5”-2” sand bed made with the top layer being from TBS ultra live sand.

I have so far added the beginner fish: watchman goby, Midas blenny, royal gramma, firefish, clown pair..

According to Elliot from marine collectors the leopard wrasse “difficulty” reputation is almost entirely due to poor tolerance of shipping and once they are settled are no more difficult than a melanarus wrasse. I have made a DIY acclimation box that I can stick in the sand bed (a 3 sided box, internal overflow shaped, shoved into the sand).

I plan to order from dr reefs and add to the box. Ensuring that it is eating and recovering from shipping stress before release.

Bad idea? Want to see if there are other reasons these fish are considered “expert only” before I pull the trigger
what you were told is right they are fine once settled but as you know the problem is they take shipping and acclimation very badly which leads to high loss rate during these stages, I would say sourcing one locally is your best bet as it well have survived all the tough parts
I definitely see the logic… I would prefer a quarantined fish so I’m a little torn. So far everything I have is QT’d or captive bred so I hate to break that streak
 
I've had a few Leopards and currently have Macropharyngodon bipartitus and Macropharyngodon meleagris, finding one directly from a local supplier or an established one in a local store typically has the best odds. You also have a way better chance if your tank is very established since they will eat amphipods if they don't take frozen right away. I put them through copper power and prazi since flukes can be an issue for them. Not having a dominant wrasse or anything in the Halichoeres family will also help them acclimate and keep their stress down.
 
Get lots of pods as they like to hunt. Even if they eating frozen its still a good idea to get some live brine. My choati was eating frozen at my LFS and when I brought him he just swam around. I wish you luck those wrasses are amongst my favorite
 
I have 2 of the Leopard Blue Star from Dr Reef and they are extremely healthy. Eating mysis and even flake and pellets! I also have lots of pods. One spent 1 day in the sand and the other took 2 days to come out. They are thriving - I’ve had them about 3 weeks.
 
I have 2 of the Leopard Blue Star from Dr Reef and they are extremely healthy. Eating mysis and even flake and pellets! I also have lots of pods. One spent 1 day in the sand and the other took 2 days to come out. They are thriving - I’ve had them about 3 weeks.
Is that royal gramma being aggressive? Also, leopards like a deeper sand bed and lots of live rock.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new