Crusting coral with soft nubs ?

DreadedNomad

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2023
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
Location
Detroit
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my LFS yesterday and like usual gravitated to the coral. I picked out the first 2 and the owner said he’d do 3 for 99$ so of course I grabbed another.
He wasn’t exactly sure what it was so I figured why not. It moves like a soft coral when it’s content, but when it closes it’s hard. It’s crusting over the edges of the rock.
Anybody know what this is called ?

IMG_0327.jpeg
 
Not entirely sure but if it moved like a soft coral and looks like a hard coral when it's retracted it could be some type of a plate. Not sure about the encrusting part. I'd say it's not a chalice because I have never seen a chalice with polyps like that.
 
Not entirely sure but if it moved like a soft coral and looks like a hard coral when it's retracted it could be some type of a plate. Not sure about the encrusting part. I'd say it's not a chalice because I have never seen a chalice with polyps like that.
Haha right. I’ll probably put it on a small island and see how it grows.
 
Fungi plate (or whatever they are called these days), freak hair pavona, or some type of fuzzy mushroom (low suspicion).
I can see that. I just googled freak hair Pavona and it definitely seems about the same. When I moved it I expected it to feel soft but it definitely isn’t, so that’s kinda cool.
Thanks for the step in the right direction!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new