Crypto after 65 days @81° fallow?

MindlessToxin

Saltwater aFISHionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp.. I'm pretty sure my Foxface is already showing signs of ich after just 2 days back in my DT. I went 65 days at 81° in my DT.
I treated all fish in a QT with Metroplex for a week and Copper Power at 2.0(Hannah Checker for testing) for 30 days. I was careful not to cross contaminate. Feeling pretty crappy at this point wondering if I will ever get rid of this stuff. I'm assuming this is Crypto. What do you guys think?

Foxface with Crypto?

Before fallow and QT, I had been battling ich for a long while and then I had 5 fish die within 48 hours, as soon as I stopped Polyplab Medic.
Idk if it was the Crypto that got them or maybe Brook or Velvet since it happened so fast..

Attachments

• 20240709_153123.mp4
    16.9 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Welp.. I'm pretty sure my Foxface is already showing signs of ich after just 2 days back in my DT. I went 65 days at 81° in my DT.
I treated all fish in a QT with Metroplex for a week and Copper Power at 2.0(Hannah Checker for testing) for 30 days. I was careful not to cross contaminate. Feeling pretty crappy at this point wondering if I will ever get rid of this stuff. I'm assuming this is Crypto. What do you guys think?

Foxface with Crypto?

Before fallow and QT, I had been battling ich for a long while and then I had 5 fish die within 48 hours, as soon as I stopped Polyplab Medic.
Idk if it was the Crypto that got them or maybe Brook or Velvet since it happened so fast..
These are mucus cones mixed in with ich and the likely issue here is the copper concentration as Coppersafe begins to work at 2.0 but is too weak for treatment. You want 2.25 up to 2.5 for it to take true effect. Polyp Lab Medic is merely peroxide salts and very ineffective especially with progress stage of parasites

OP
OP
MindlessToxin

MindlessToxin

Saltwater aFISHionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I realized the Polyp Lab wasn't doing anything so I ordered the Copper Power and got the QT setup. I just thought it was crazy that as soon as I stopped the Medic I had 5 fish die so fast after months of dealing with it.

I'm not looking forward to catching these dang fish again. Especially the Flame hawkfish and Melanurus wrasse.

I only went with 2.0 copper because of the wrasse. Man this hobby...

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I realized the Polyp Lab wasn't doing anything so I ordered the Copper Power and got the QT setup. I just thought it was crazy that as soon as I stopped the Medic I had 5 fish die so fast after months of dealing with it.

I'm not looking forward to catching these dang fish again. Especially the Flame hawkfish and Melanurus wrasse.

What about just ich management with healthy diet, vitamins etc and maybe a temporary UV?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These spots are too large for ich. They are mucus plugs, which are a stress response seen in some fish. In some cases, ich is actually the cause of the stress, but not always.

Now that you have this photo, look at the fish from the same angle each day. Ich spots will gone and go and change location daily. Mucus plugs persist longer and don’t change location as often.

585bird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about just ich management with healthy diet, vitamins etc and maybe a temporary UV?
Doesn’t work AT all biggest waste of money medic .I tried rally and rally ick both and again a waste of money .All my fish have ick .But I feed them omegas,vitamins,garlic,vit c all mixed in Nori (green and red ) sandwich .Both LFS all believe in ick management.Good for there pocket book imo .QT all the way for me now .Setting up a 40 gallon QT .250 gallon a ***** to catch but the egg crate tech looks really good gonna try that . I have another tank I will transfer fish in .Forget going fallow I’m starting over ripping tank apart . Also have a 150 watts of uv which does squat for ick maybe prolongs there life ?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t work AT all biggest waste of money medic .I tried rally and rally ick both and again a waste of money .All my fish have ick .But I feed them omegas,vitamins,garlic,vit c all mixed in Nori (green and red ) sandwich .Both LFS all believe in ick management.Good for there pocket book imo .QT all the way for me now .Setting up a 40 gallon QT .250 gallon a ***** to catch but the egg crate tech looks really good gonna try that . I have another tank I will transfer fish in .Forget going fallow I’m starting over ripping tank apart . Also have a 150 watts of uv which does squat for ick maybe prolongs there life ?
@Paul B would probably disagree with you

OP
OP
MindlessToxin

MindlessToxin

Saltwater aFISHionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Jay Hemdal . You have given me some hope. I did notice about an hour or so later that they didn't look the same. The spots didn't have the "salt" look. Like they had already fallen off. From what I've read and seen, it's normally a couple days or so before ich falls off. I could still see where the spots were though.

I'll keep a look out for spots changing location daily.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Jay Hemdal . You have given me some hope. I did notice about an hour or so later that they didn't look the same. The spots didn't have the "salt" look. Like they had already fallen off. From what I've read and seen, it's normally a couple days or so before ich falls off. I could still see where the spots were though.

I'll keep a look out for spots changing location daily.
If the spots return, and in generally increasing numbers, it is more likely to be ich.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Foxface with Crypto?

2.0 with a Hanna and figure out its error you can be way to low. Also ich will go dormant in low to no oxygen area. In sand bed or deep in rocks. Always recommend removing sand and or supplying oxygen to areas best you can.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2.0 with a Hanna and figure out its error you can be way to low. Also ich will go dormant in low to no oxygen area. In sand bed or deep in rocks. Always recommend removing sand and or supplying oxygen to areas best you can.
FYI - unless there is some more information I am not aware of (entirely possible) - The dormant in low oxygen areas is a bit of a debated topic (i.e. might not be applicable in warmer fallow tanks (like this one). This link supplies information about the low oxygen theory - as well as a lot of information about fallow periods: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/FA164

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - unless there is some more information I am not aware of (entirely possible) - The dormant in low oxygen areas is a bit of a debated topic (i.e. might not be applicable in warmer fallow tanks (like this one). This link supplies information about the low oxygen theory - as well as a lot of information about fallow periods: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/FA164
Maybe so but hey risk it and have a problem or don’t. Many go fallow and strike out. Also reason some that qt proper in this industry don’t use sand for that reason.

Each there own

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe so but hey risk it and have a problem or don’t. Many go fallow and strike out. Also reason some that qt proper in this industry don’t use sand for that reason.

Each there own
Correct - each their own. However, that doesn't answer the OP's question, right? I mean if it's to each their own. there is no reason for a question.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - each their own. However, that doesn't answer the OP's question, right? I mean if it's to each their own. there is no reason for a question.
Don’t question me for op. I just said advice. Take it or leave it. I don’t care. Again it wasn’t for you. You don’t have to like it nor read it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t question me for op. I just said advice. Take it or leave it. I don’t care. Again it wasn’t for you. You don’t have to like it nor read it
OK - I will say - your comments in this particular post makes no sense. And - Since im a fish medic - I kind of answer the posts that contradict the protocols here... Yours unfortunately - did not make sense. It's my opinion. Many people that go fallow do not 'strike out'. Though - not everyone succeeds. If you're mad that I questioned the low oxygen issue - well - it's questionable.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaulB has a tank that represents 0.00000000001% of tanks so his method doesn't apply
True and all I mentioned would that he would probably disagree. I wouldn't say his method is completely no applicable because each tank is unique. I am one of those that believes ich is present in every tank and as long as you keep your fish healthy and happy then their immune systems keep ich at bay. Serious stressed events though lower their immune systems and allow ich to gain a footing on the fish. A lot of times if the stress is short lived they will fight off the ich infection.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaulB has a tank that represents 0.00000000001% of tanks so his method doesn't apply
This is not correct. You showed ten zero's and there should only be eight. :grimacing-face:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True and all I mentioned would that he would probably disagree. I wouldn't say his method is completely no applicable because each tank is unique. I am one of those that believes ich is present in every tank and as long as you keep your fish healthy and happy then their immune systems keep ich at bay. Serious stressed events though lower their immune systems and allow ich to gain a footing on the fish. A lot of times if the stress is short lived they will fight off the ich infection.
There is a simple way to (kind of) prove that - and it would be to ask aquabiomics how many healthy tanks have Cryptocaryon measured

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back