CUC not touching algae

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to very low nutrients I have never had any algae. Then a dino outbreak last year caused me to dose nitrates and phosphates. This, along with a UV sterilizer, sorted my dino problem out.
Then I started getting what I think is GHA so I started lowering my nutrients and beefed up my CUC.
I have recently added a Dolabella sea hare to go with my trochus, turbos, emerald crabs and algae blenny.
But nothing eats it. My sea hare is always out and looking for food but just glides over the algae without a second glance.
Here is a picture if what I am assuming is GHA.
I have dropped my nutrients to a more reasonable 10 and 0.1.
20190523_113931.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try cutting it down very short and see if they will eat it. Sometimes when stuff is full grown it gets bitter for self defense and creatures wont touch it.

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try cutting it down very short and see if they will eat it. Sometimes when stuff is full grown it gets bitter for self defense and creatures wont touch it.
Thanks. It's getting its weekly hair cut this weekend so I will see if it helps.

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the manual removal and trimming. That worked for me. You just want tp be careful and not let it spread around the tank and start new GHA sites. I turn the pumps off and use a small diameter siphon from airline tubing and 1/8" plastic tubing to siphon the stuff out of the tank as I am trimming it

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone confirm that what I have is actually GHA. It has been suggested to me that it might be Lyngbya and that's why my CUC aren't touching it.
Here are photos under heavy whites and my usual AB+.
20190523_113931.jpeg
20190526_161342.jpeg

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Hair Algae is a term used for many different species of algae that have similar characteristics: https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide. This guide has tips on how to ID a GHA type of algae. But my guess is to ID this definitively you'll need microscope and someone who knows marine algae species

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back