Nitrates and algae

discostew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Had a quick question. My nitrates were 3-4 for a few months in my 45 gallon. Now are zero but there have been some small patches of gha and bubble algae. Just 3 or 4 patches of quarter sized GHA spots. Phosphates 0.1. How do i know my nitrates are zero vs being consumed by the GHA? There’s no algae on glass. Sand is a bit dirty.

I have doses neonitrate in past. Just not sure what my actual nitrate is if i have a little gha (not a lot)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero is not good algae or not. You could end up with dinos. (Which could be the dirty sand)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Had a quick question. My nitrates were 3-4 for a few months in my 45 gallon. Now are zero but there have been some small patches of gha and bubble algae. Just 3 or 4 patches of quarter sized GHA spots. Phosphates 0.1. How do i know my nitrates are zero vs being consumed by the GHA? There’s no algae on glass. Sand is a bit dirty.

I have doses neonitrate in past. Just not sure what my actual nitrate is if i have a little gha (not a lot)
Do you feed your fish?
Coral and algae take up N.
You may dose if you feel like it, but, I'm at zero with my hanna since may of last year. I fed heavy. No algae on the glass.

Dinos popping up is more to zero N AND P.

OP, you have P so don't worry to much about dinos. I would feed heavy and/or dose N and see how things go.

Edit: it's better to have P and zero N than it is to have N and zero P.

OP
OP
D

discostew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya no Dino’s. The dirty sand is just poop/detritus that i could probably vacuum better. I had Dino’s when i first started the tank a few years ago. Thanks. Yes i feed my fish flakes and rods food. I’m pretty stingy bc i don’t want my phosphates any hire. 2 clowns and a wrasse. Used to have a blenny. Soft and lps corals. Can’t add any more fish bc the wrasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back