Cucumber Split - what now?

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a yellow sea cucumber to my 40 gal tank two months ago today. I added it to a corner of one rock and it moved about 6 inches away and has stayed in that general area since. This morning, I noticed it had split in two. I've heard that they only split/reproduce asexually if they are happy and well fed, but I have concerns about whether it's eating since it hasn't moved from this one area of one rock. Anyone know how I can tell if it's doing well or if this is a time bomb? Is it true that they release toxins that can nuke a tank when stressed? I'm not sure what to do...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I added a yellow sea cucumber to my 40 gal tank two months ago today. I added it to a corner of one rock and it moved about 6 inches away and has stayed in that general area since. This morning, I noticed it had split in two. I've heard that they only split/reproduce asexually if they are happy and well fed, but I have concerns about whether it's eating since it hasn't moved from this one area of one rock. Anyone know how I can tell if it's doing well or if this is a time bomb? Is it true that they release toxins that can nuke a tank when stressed? I'm not sure what to do...
Toxins when startled and rare that it occurs
If concerned about toxins…. Add a pouch of chemipure blue which will absorb any
Similar to a butterfly, it takes a bit to heal then becomes active. The little spikes show up in a few weeks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toxins when startled and rare that it occurs
If concerned about toxins…. Add a pouch of chemipure blue which will absorb any
Similar to a butterfly, it takes a bit to heal then becomes active. The little spikes show up in a few weeks
Thank you for commenting! I'm concerned about the general health of the little critter. If it did split because of stress, it's probably not done releasing toxins or maybe hasn't started yet. I don't mind adding chemipure blue if that would be beneficial, but I am not sure how to give him his best shot at being a happy lil' cuke (or two).

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Although the second one is just now starting to spout his alien feelers. Thank you for asking!
Cool. I've got 4 black sea cucumbers roaming around my tank and can't wait until I have a few more of the little alien feelers to feed.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back