cultivating Chaetomorpha??

Blizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a large refugium and in the mean time trying to cultivate some Chaeto .. I received a soft ball size piece of Chaeto and place it in a 10 gal salt tank with a power head and small light to give it a jump start in growing,,, problem is,, the tips are turning brown and I get the feeling that it is actually starting to die off..

Oh yea I have a heater in with it that is being kept at 80 deg..

Any ideas from members as to what I'm doing wrong??

blizz

OP
OP
Blizz

Blizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply McMullen... I used water from my main display tank which has always had a problem with nitrates... I figured that would be the nutrients it need to grow on... Is there a product I should by to help with this??
Also the light is just a small 12 flourient light that I keep on 12 hrs. per day.
blizz

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think to answer appropriately we (reefe2reef) would need to know nitrate and phosphate levels. Cheato can absorb nutrients rapidly!

The brown tips still has me questioning being burnt by light. Usually with lack of nutrients Cheato begins to pale and turn white in color. It becomes brittle and withers away.

OP
OP
Blizz

Blizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate .5 but nitrate 60-70.. it's been in the tank for about 5 days but I just started to notice it 3 days ago... the ends of the Chaeto are slightly brown and fuzzy for a lack of better term..

blizz

OP
OP
Blizz

Blizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pic.... concerned with the tips..

chaeto.jpg

OP
OP
Blizz

Blizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Cody,, was in the tank about 2-3 days before I noticed it. Also I noticed when I put it in the tank a lot of Copepods came out and died off. I don't see any active life left in the Chaeto at this point.

Something is wrong I feel.

blizz

OP
OP
Blizz

Blizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I didn't since it came from my main tank which has 6 very healthy fish in it I only check for Phos & Nitrates. I just looked and found that I don't even own a test kit for ammonia any longer...

blizz

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, simply using water from your main display isn't going to do much. Eventually the chaeto will absorb all the nutrients from the water as previously mentioned. Once that happens it'll have nothing to feed from and slowly die out. You may also have a improper lighting. Make sure you're test kit isn't expired and you're testing properly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back