Cupramine dosage

laurendonatella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine dosing help needed

I have a fish in QT right now that I got from live aquaria. Haven’t put him in my display tank as I’ve been watching him in quarantine and I’m pretty sure he has Ich. He had two white spots and now has a third, and is shaking and kind of swimming on his side. Also hiding out a lot more. So I started Cupramine two days ago, but I’ve only given him the first dose. I haven’t yet given him the second dose of Cooper yet because when I test my copper levels (using the la motte copper test) It is showing that I am at, or maybe even above the 0.5 level.... But this is just with the one dose. I want to make sure he gets the full dose of medication, but don’t want to risk overdosing him by adding the second dose.

Has anyone else ever run into this? Also, should I be doing water changes while Cupramine is doing its thing? I assume not but wondering g if it’s ok to go 2.5 weeks with no WC

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is he acting? How long has it been at .5? Definitely don’t add more... if the fish stops eating or starts acting “off” you might need to back it down (via waterchange) and bring it up more gradually...

But otherwise, just let it ride and keep monitoring the level to make sure it stays there.

Do you have an ammonia alert badge?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick search because I’m not familiar with the test kit brand you are using... it looks like it is for pool usage and has a range of .5-1.0... I’m not positive it works the same with saltwater for this particular application?

It might be worth getting the seachem test kit that’s specifically for use with cupramine just to double check? Maybe someone else will chime in that’s more familiar with how compatible it may or may not be...

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine dosing help needed

I have a fish in QT right now that I got from live aquaria. Haven’t put him in my display tank as I’ve been watching him in quarantine and I’m pretty sure he has Ich. He had two white spots and now has a third, and is shaking and kind of swimming on his side. Also hiding out a lot more. So I started Cupramine two days ago, but I’ve only given him the first dose. I haven’t yet given him the second dose of Cooper yet because when I test my copper levels (using the la motte copper test) It is showing that I am at, or maybe even above the 0.5 level.... But this is just with the one dose. I want to make sure he gets the full dose of medication, but don’t want to risk overdosing him by adding the second dose.

Has anyone else ever run into this? Also, should I be doing water changes while Cupramine is doing its thing? I assume not but wondering g if it’s ok to go 2.5 weeks with no WC

Curious how things are going. I just ran into the same issue. Are you using the dose recommendations on the bottle? I am getting some from a friend tomorrow but he needs the bottle so I need to take a pic or find the dosage requirements for it.

OP
OP
L

laurendonatella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up switching to copper power. I think it is easier to work with. Best of luck!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Mind sharing why you think that? This is new to me.

Copper power has a wider therapeutic range and a bit easier on fish.

With cupramine, in my opinion, works great but the directions on the bottle put the level up way too quickly.

I would start with half the recommended amount, and then go from there - testing regularly.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With cupramine, in my opinion, works great but the directions on the bottle put the level up way too quickly.

I would start with half the recommended amount, and then go from there - testing regularly.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback and help. This time cupramine is all I can get fast. I’ll buy some copper power next time I get a fish

OP
OP
L

laurendonatella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep- agree. Much easier to work with!

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback and help. This time cupramine is all I can get fast. I’ll buy some copper power next time I get a fish

It calls for 40 drops basically in 10g tank with 48hrs. I’m planning to do that over 4 days trying to be easier on them.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back