Curiosity: does loud music effect fish?

Germ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 60g anemone cube with plenty of fish, I use it to let the smaller fish grow and then they'll go in my DT. However, my lovely sound system is also in that room (the room is my man cave lol) I love to blare music in there from time and I seriously don't want it to stress or cause any issues. However I'm also curious as to if fish might likely music lol anyone ever notice any kind of reaction to playing music at a normal level or loud level?
Thanks in advance for any input!

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the vibration from the bass would be no different than someone banging on the glass, but I could be wrong. Whether or not this is detrimental to the tanks inhabitants I don't know. I'm sure there's a little bit of stress involved though.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot be much worse than some of the loud equipment that we put in our tanks and waves in Ocean are very loud I would only worry about heavy bass as I have speakers a few feet away from my tank and they don't even hide and also will eat when I feed them or they just like Bob Marley

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along the same lines, but my music room is right outside my tanks. Between guitars and drums I worried about the same thing, but was told it isn't a issue.

I would think complete music songs wouldn't hurt either.

OP
OP
Germ42

Germ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot be much worse than some of the loud equipment that we put in our tanks and waves in Ocean are very loud I would only worry about heavy bass as I have speakers a few feet away from my tank and they don't even hide and also will eat when I feed them or they just like Bob Marley
Lol well then my fish should be fine, i like Bob Marley as well lol!

OP
OP
Germ42

Germ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool I will continue to monitor the fish as I jam, my thought was always if you have a loud speaker out side of your pool, and you go under water, you can't really hear it much underwater lol unless the music is playing under water

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool I will continue to monitor the fish as I jam, my thought was always if you have a loud speaker out side of your pool, and you go under water, you can't really hear it much underwater lol unless the music is playing under water
This is true, but fish don't have ears. They use their lateral line to pick up on changes in the environment. I'm sure that a loud bass thump will spook them the same way banging on the glass would.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fish seem to swim faster and look happy when I play U2 or Paramore...they have good taste in music. :)

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U2? They swimming faster to try and get away from "the edge's" horrible playing :p

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back