Current Orbit IC Pro

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm selecting a light for my 125 gallon build and fell in love with the 72" current orbit ic pro. Before I spend $450 though, I'd like your opinions on them. Would this be sufficient for softies, lps, nems and maybe a few birdsnest (higher in the tank of course)?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

These lights are amazing and will work great on a 125. You can’t go bigger but yes you can grow anything in there with these lights. Some sps, and clams will need to be mid high or higher with these lights. However lps and softies etc you can place about anywhere. When you get them just use the presets first. So start with preset four which is an acclimation period. Then after two weeks go to preset one,
For a week, then preset 3 as your main light cycle.

I run the higher powered orbit marine pros on my 240 and they are simply amazing. They are the best light that I have used and I beta tested the radions, hydras and some t5 and hd. Of the leds tested the orbits were much nicer than the hydras or the radions. (Keep in mind I have the stronger marine pros that came out before yours did) The ic are the same concept but not near as strong. Yet with that said
For your size tank they are perfect. Not to mention currents customer service is beyond anything you could find. They are super super super great to work with.

My new tank is 7 months old and these are all new corals. I went from a 125 in which my lfs stored my corals and fish. During this time I lost most of my coral, and all but one of my fish. It was hard on me. So this new tank is very special because it’s doing so well. I used my marine pros on my old 125 and they were amazing also. If you need any help with them please ask me, I know them extensively.

Sincerely
Sarah

96FCF7A9-4D95-4402-B05B-E2DD3184CAFB.jpeg

F2EEF8F1-6668-4401-B8B8-C50500C9FE15.jpeg

9903336F-87F5-4238-B86E-AD809E3B42B6.jpeg

262007DB-5D88-4C23-B03B-C5A34F0717E4.jpeg

47F53FA8-3F54-434E-8B06-E2A723DCFA5B.jpeg

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

These lights are amazing and will work great on a 125. You can’t go bigger but yes you can grow anything in there with these lights. Some sps, and clams will need to be mid high or higher with these lights. However lps and softies etc you can place about anywhere. When you get them just use the presets first. So start with preset four which is an acclimation period. Then after two weeks go to preset one,
For a week, then preset 3 as your main light cycle.

I run the higher powered orbit marine pros on my 240 and they are simply amazing. They are the best light that I have used and I beta tested the radions, hydras and some t5 and hd. Of the leds tested the orbits were much nicer than the hydras or the radions. (Keep in mind I have the stronger marine pros that came out before yours did) The ic are the same concept but not near as strong. Yet with that said
For your size tank they are perfect. Not to mention currents customer service is beyond anything you could find. They are super super super great to work with.

My new tank is 7 months old and these are all new corals. I went from a 125 in which my lfs stored my corals and fish. During this time I lost most of my coral, and all but one of my fish. It was hard on me. So this new tank is very special because it’s doing so well. I used my marine pros on my old 125 and they were amazing also. If you need any help with them please ask me, I know them extensively.

Sincerely
Sarah

96FCF7A9-4D95-4402-B05B-E2DD3184CAFB.jpeg

F2EEF8F1-6668-4401-B8B8-C50500C9FE15.jpeg

9903336F-87F5-4238-B86E-AD809E3B42B6.jpeg

262007DB-5D88-4C23-B03B-C5A34F0717E4.jpeg

47F53FA8-3F54-434E-8B06-E2A723DCFA5B.jpeg
Thank you so much!!! I'm upgrading my 40 breeder and I really wasn't that impressed with the Viparspectra 165w that I currently have. These are a much nicer looking profile. I'm going to order one Monday. I'm so excited to see it in person.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they spec the Pro for up to 24" across and 24" deep, so you're in the sweet spot with a 125. :)

We need pics when you have them set up!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend told me these loose power quickly. Now I'm so confused. I can't afford to spend $600-$1500 on just lights like everyone keeps suggesting. I really think I'm gonna go with these unless someone has a better suggestion for around the same price.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If price right out of the box is that important then I would suggest going with a basic t5 fixture. You can get a 48in on Amazon for $100 and then swap out the bulbs.

I did this over my 29g and couldn't be happier. I went t5 from Current loop IC lights. The current lights were nice, but I wouldn't use 95% of the features.

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If price right out of the box is that important then I would suggest going with a basic t5 fixture. You can get a 48in on Amazon for $100 and then swap out the bulbs.

I did this over my 29g and couldn't be happier. I went t5 from Current loop IC lights. The current lights were nice, but I wouldn't use 95% of the features.
I may end up going that route. Thanks

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran these on a reefer 350 that I was using as a predator tank. That is the IC loop. A little shorter ones than the 72 and you're talking about. I actually love these lights. The storm effect and cloud cover was much better than the radions that I have on a my other tank. For a fraction of the money I thought they were well worth it. I did wind up running 2 of them for better coverage. But that was more personal preference. The power output was not a problem with just one. Single I ran at about 70%. When I ran the other light I was able to turn it now to about 40.

Last edited:

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Not sure what they are talking about, I run my pros at maybe 40% and that’s still too much. Make no mistake you will absolutely cook your tank with these lights. For the price and quality that your getting you can not find a better light. In addition any time I have had a problem, meaning I bought a new pro and it didn’t have the timer or power supply in it. They (Brandon at current usa), overnighted me the parts I needed. I didn’t have to worry about receipts or this or that, they just fixed the problem. Of all the companies I have dealt with, Current USA is miles and miles ahead of any other company for service and warranty issues.

I don’t use most of the features either, but you can’t beat how gorgeous they make your tank look. Another person who has had great success with them is @120reefkeeper. His tank looks amazing and has the exact same lights you do. I wouldn’t second guess these lights at all.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great Sarah. If I might ask what do you have your light profile set to? Both in terms of time schedule and % of RGBW on each? I have the same lights.

Aww thank you, those mean a lot to me. I don’t have the ic loops I have the powerful beasts lol with the 60 degree lens.
I don’t have the rgb either but have others the loops don’t.
But because my lights are overly powerful, I run my cool whites at maybe 35%, and blues 100% the magenta is at 35% and uv and purple at 100%. I was doing 12 your period but it was way way too much. Now I do only 8 hour photo periods and it’s good and bad. Good that I havnt cooked any corals lol, bad it did slow some growth but not overly.

Here very very soon, they are releasing a new version that will have some ic loop goodies, but going back to the power of the ones I have and then some (from 60 degree lens and
High high output).

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back