OP
C

caas1496

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful design you have there. I like the silencers. I would keep them clear acrylic but maybe increase the diameter if there is flow restriction there. My only suggestion is to ditch the fuge and have a much larger return section. I personally do not like a small return section for many reasons. I'm also a huge fan of remote fuges too... lol.
Thanks for the input! What are your concerns with a small return section? This is going under a 40 breeder and my stand really doesnt have much room for an external fuge (although it would be cool). I am hoping to someday have a mandarin dragonet so I would like to have a dedicated space to maintain a pod population and also keep frags out of my display.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really fantastic. Love how you've taken a commercial concept and made it what you want. More of a question than a suggestion since your design skills are clearly beyond... how much flow are you comfortable putting through your secondary drain? It sounds like a nice idea to feed the fuge/frags with some unfiltersocked water straight from the DT and simply let it overflow as well back to the central return?? Less complexity??

1) Are you concerned about the lighting/flow requirements of various coral frags as opposed to the lighting and flow requirements for macro algae/mangroves?
2) Do you really want to have your head wedged under the stand to check out your frags?

OP
OP
C

caas1496

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really fantastic. Love how you've taken a commercial concept and made it what you want. More of a question than a suggestion since your design skills are clearly beyond... how much flow are you comfortable putting through your secondary drain? It sounds like a nice idea to feed the fuge/frags with some unfiltersocked water straight from the DT and simply let it overflow as well back to the central return?? Less complexity??

1) Are you concerned about the lighting/flow requirements of various coral frags as opposed to the lighting and flow requirements for macro algae/mangroves?
2) Do you really want to have your head wedged under the stand to check out your frags?

This is a very interesting idea. I hadn't thought about feeding the secondary drain into the fuge section but I like the thought of some unfiltered DT water getting to the frags. My one concern is that the secondary drain wont be enough flow on its own for the frags, so I would still need the secondary pump. What do you think? Ill have to think about the plumbing layout to see if I want to go this route.

I'm not super excited about having to go down to the sump to check out my frags but I like that idea better than unsightly racks in the display tank. Sort of the lesser of two evils in this case. I don't want to have a dedicated frag tank setup at this point.

I'm also hoping that the macro algae can handle whatever flow I push through that chamber for my frags. I don't plan to have crazy high flow in that chamber. I don't plan to have a ton of SPS in there so I don't think I will have too many issues.

You have certainly given me some things to think about... thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback!

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the baffle between the bubble trap and the return section. It's the last piece that has teeth in the top.

Once the water has traveled downwards through the bubble trap, you don't want it to go up and travel over the teeth of a baffle again. That's gonna add bubbles to your return section.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed your second to last baffle to the return goes all the way up. What happens if that small chamber gets clogged? I'd leave a gap to allow it to overflow into the return chamber if whatever you have there stops flowing.

Screenshot_20190530-140925_Chrome.jpg

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very interesting idea. I hadn't thought about feeding the secondary drain into the fuge section but I like the thought of some unfiltered DT water getting to the frags. My one concern is that the secondary drain wont be enough flow on its own for the frags, so I would still need the secondary pump. What do you think? /QUOTE]

I have total confidence you'll get it how you want it and that it's gonna work great. If you're running your overflow properly and keeping the emergency drain dry (aside from true emergencies) yeah, you may still want to run your pump or add a small powerhead. What kind of macro are you planning on? Mangroves? You could probably put a small powerhead in there for simplicity's sake. If chaeto, I imagine it would get sucked in.

Give yourself some flexibility down the road. If you grow corals anywheres near as well as you draft and design, you'll be forced to upgrade to a frag system by Xmas ;)

Whatever you do, be sure to post pics of the finished product!!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That post got screwed up..

I have total confidence you'll get it how you want it and that it's gonna work great. If you're running your overflow properly and keeping the emergency drain dry (aside from true emergencies) yeah, you may still want to run your pump or add a small powerhead. What kind of macro are you planning on? Mangroves? You could probably put a small powerhead in there for simplicity's sake. If chaeto, I imagine it would get sucked in.

Give yourself some flexibility down the road. If you grow corals anywheres near as well as you draft and design, you'll be forced to upgrade to a frag system by Xmas ;)

Whatever you do, be sure to post pics of the finished product!!

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. I just searched sump design and this looked like the best post to start

This is mine and it’s been 10 months now so I want to get it how I want it cause it works. The bio pellets might be swapped for ziovite reactor.
I hear there’s a lot of ? Issues like what I’m fighting in display.
I just stirred the media chamber and wow it’s full...

Sorry for the mess.
I’ve never finalized how I want the lines and don’t run filter socks at all. I need to vacuum the media side but that’s about 1 month of accumulation and my display I’ve been killing a lot of algae this passed week with phosguard. I want to plumb a cup holder like yours. But I want the refuge as the filter but want the skimmer before.
So I’ve never finished this sump.
I wish the return was much smaller but I wanted there to be a reserve if then pump was to fast but see that it’s better smaller.
It’s my 1st sump

How will you be molding this?

C99E90EA-B32F-4D64-8885-C9560C9EFF63.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

caas1496

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the baffle between the bubble trap and the return section. It's the last piece that has teeth in the top.

Once the water has traveled downwards through the bubble trap, you don't want it to go up and travel over the teeth of a baffle again. That's gonna add bubbles to your return section.

Good call. That baffle has been removed and now I also have a larger return section!

I just noticed your second to last baffle to the return goes all the way up. What happens if that small chamber gets clogged? I'd leave a gap to allow it to overflow into the return chamber if whatever you have there stops flowing.

Screenshot_20190530-140925_Chrome.jpg

This is a great safety feature suggestion. I added some overflows to the top in case of a clog. Thanks for the recommendation!

Wow.. I just searched sump design and this looked like the best post to start

This is mine and it’s been 10 months now so I want to get it how I want it cause it works. The bio pellets might be swapped for ziovite reactor.
I hear there’s a lot of ? Issues like what I’m fighting in display.
I just stirred the media chamber and wow it’s full...

Sorry for the mess.
I’ve never finalized how I want the lines and don’t run filter socks at all. I need to vacuum the media side but that’s about 1 month of accumulation and my display I’ve been killing a lot of algae this passed week with phosguard. I want to plumb a cup holder like yours. But I want the refuge as the filter but want the skimmer before.
So I’ve never finished this sump.
I wish the return was much smaller but I wanted there to be a reserve if then pump was to fast but see that it’s better smaller.
It’s my 1st sump

How will you be molding this?

C99E90EA-B32F-4D64-8885-C9560C9EFF63.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your sump! This is my first sump build (currently have an AIO system) so I'll take all the advice I can get. I hope my pictures gave you some inspiration. I'm planning to laser cut the various acrylic pieces and use a combination of Weld-On 4 and 16 to bond the pieces together. They will then be siliconed into the tank.

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a larger return section because it allows more room for error. Plus it allows me to make modifications to the water volume (water change - dumping 5 gal into the sump...) without overflowing. Last benefit is it keeps the water level away from my pump intake and reduces bubbles. I have smooth weir baffles and no bubble traps with no bubbles making it into the display.
I get that you dont have the space, so the smaller section will work just fine, I just like em big lol.

One more piece of advice would be to have more than one hole from the fuge to the return, or a cutout on the top of the baffle to allow overflow into the return in an emergency. One thing I have learned about this hobby is its a lot like building airplanes: design it to never fail, then design a backup, then design another backup for the backup.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have learned about this hobby is its a lot like building airplanes: design it to never fail, then design a backup, then design another backup for the backup.

I learned that building and flying RC airplanes for 20 years. Dual battery systems, dual power switches, ignition batteries and switches, loc-tite on EVERYTHING ... but, build it light so it flies good. Airplanes that are built to survive crashes are heavy and don't fly good. Airplanes don't survive crashes anyway, so just build it light ... to fly .... and don't crash it! :D

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 20 gallon so 75L not a 20L. Just thought I would clear that up a bit.

20L, L meaning long :)
Something on my tank that annoys me is more and more power cords, for instance your separate box with another pump and or power heads is two more outlets filled/ needed.
I’m excited for you to build this.

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size display tank is this under? Will it provide enough room for overflow in the event of a power outage?

OP
OP
C

caas1496

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20L, L meaning long :)
Something on my tank that annoys me is more and more power cords, for instance your separate box with another pump and or power heads is two more outlets filled/ needed.
I’m excited for you to build this.
I cant wait to get started! Im planning to order the acryllic soon.

OP
OP
C

caas1496

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a larger return section because it allows more room for error. Plus it allows me to make modifications to the water volume (water change - dumping 5 gal into the sump...) without overflowing. Last benefit is it keeps the water level away from my pump intake and reduces bubbles. I have smooth weir baffles and no bubble traps with no bubbles making it into the display.
I get that you dont have the space, so the smaller section will work just fine, I just like em big lol.

One more piece of advice would be to have more than one hole from the fuge to the return, or a cutout on the top of the baffle to allow overflow into the return in an emergency. One thing I have learned about this hobby is its a lot like building airplanes: design it to never fail, then design a backup, then design another backup for the backup.
Good point. Ill add some emergency overflow holes to the fuge section too.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%

Back