Custom acrylic AIO design - input wanted!

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this thread in general discussion thinking it would get the most interaction and here. I was wrong. Maybe it will get more here. Thanks!

I’m moving and will no longer have space for my 300g w 120g sump. The space I have will accommodate roughly a 40 breeder with no sump.

I’ve run many Sumpless tanks over the years but never an AIO.

I’m planning an acrylic AIO with the following overall dimensions. 37”L x 21”w x 18”h
This will be a bare bottom.

My goal is to maximize front to back width. I plan to sacrifice some length for the AIO “sump”. The fish I will keep won’t mind. :)

I plan to have the AIO part on the right side and be 4.5”L x 21”w x 18”h. This will allow me to have about 3.5” of space to drop in a DC return pump.
I will have a traditional 3 baffle design. The overflow chamber will be in the front section and be 15”w. This will maximize skimming ability. the return 6” with a bubble trap. I’ll likely use a VarioS-2 for a return. I plan to run about 5x through the AIO chamber, so 250gph

My initial thought is to have the return come out of the bottom back corner so it shoots across the back behind the rockwork to stir up detritus.

A power head will be used for additional circulation and surface agitation. Likely a Nero.

I will have a black back, black bottom and black right side and AIO chamber. It will be against a wall so the two viewable sides will be the front and the left side.

It will be euro braced.

Does anyone see any glaring issues with the overall design? Or with the return being at the bottom corner?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a good plan to me... ;) :)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to have the top of the AIO part recessed for emergency overflow. Having the return on the bottom you will have to come up with some creative plumbing since the pump outlet is on the top. Making more than one bend will put a damper on your overall flow. Also I believe having the return on top can give you more gas exchange with the top of the tank water. While having good intentions of keeping the back clear of detritus. you will need a stronger pump like a MP40 to do that. But you can't since the AIO is in the way. Maybe a Gyre mounted vertical. Also you really would need to figure out your skimmer you want to go with and make sure it fits.
If you want to go glass IM is having a 40% off sale.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to have the top of the AIO part recessed for emergency overflow. Having the return on the bottom you will have to come up with some creative plumbing since the pump outlet is on the top. Making more than one bend will put a damper on your overall flow. Also I believe having the return on top can give you more gas exchange with the top of the tank water. While having good intentions of keeping the back clear of detritus. you will need a stronger pump like a MP40 to do that. But you can't since the AIO is in the way. Maybe a Gyre mounted vertical. Also you really would need to figure out your skimmer you want to go with and make sure it fits.
If you want to go glass IM is having a 40% off sale.

Great points. I’ll have return out the top like normal and then plumb it down behind if I go that route. More flexibility. Likely run a line across the back bottom with holes drilled pointing forward. Will run pump once an hour at full to blow it forward.

And will definitely have the maker put an emergency recess!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back