Custom acrylic AIO design - input appreciated

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m moving and will no longer have space for my 300g w 120g sump. The space I have will accommodate roughly a 40 breeder with no sump.

I’m planning an acrylic AIO with the following overall dimensions. 37”L x 21”w x 18”h
This will be a bare bottom.

My goal is to maximize front to back width. I plan to sacrifice some length for the AIO “sump”. The fish I will keep won’t mind. :)

I plan to have the AIO part on the right side and be 4.5”L x 21”w x 18”h. This will allow me to have about 3.5” of space to drop in a DC return pump.
I will have a traditional 3 baffle design. The overflow chamber will be in the front section and be 11”w. This will maximize skimming ability. The center chamber will be 4”w and the return 6”. I’ll likely use a VarioS-2 for a return. I plan to run about 5x through the AIO chamber, so 250gph

My initial thought is to have the return come out of the bottom back corner so it shoots across the back behind the rockwork to stir up detritus.

I will have a black back, black bottom and black right side and AIO chamber. It will be against a wall so the two viewable sides will be the front and the left side.

It will be euro braced.

Does anyone see any glaring issues with the overall design? Or with the return being at the bottom corner?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why a return is typically located at the top is so that the flow can disrupt the surface to increase Oxygen exchange in the aquarium.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why a return is typically located at the top is so that the flow can disrupt the surface to increase Oxygen exchange in the aquarium.
Yup.

I’ll have a powerhead for surface disruption.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have thoughts on the side chambers?

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im now thinking the AIO chamber will be two total sections. The overflow section will be 16” and the return section 5”. I’ll have a bubble trap in case I use a small skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back