Custom Lagoon Tank Build

bychance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby for close to 12 years and I'm jumping back in. The last tank I set up was closer to 15 years ago. A lot has changed. I am open to all advice and/or suggestions.

Custom 48"x24"x16" tank.

Icecap K1 Skimmer (used)
Sicce 6.0 return pump
Banshsea Bio-Fuge sump (used)
2 Aquamaxx reactors
2 AI Nero 3
Icecap Gyre (used)

I am trying to determine what LED's to go with. I'm leaning towards 2 Red Sea Reef LED 90. The intent is for a mixed reef, mostly LPS with some SPS. When it comes to lights, I'm looking for easy and effective (and under $1,000).

I plan to use a MarinePure Biofilter media block in the first chamber of the sump for active filtration and the MarinePure Biofilter media cubes in the second chamber as passive filtration.

I have some questions pertaining to my sump. It is a bio fuge, but it's hard to foresee a refugium in the second chamber. The first chamber I can control the water depth with a sliding door. The second section has a large opening to course sponge like stuff. That opening is 4.5" from the bottom and extends high, almost to the top. Is that enough depth for a refugium and will it work as passive filtration or will the flow be to great to achieve that?

Fuge 1.png

Oh, here is a pic of the tank.

image23023.jpg

I am not sure I will be able to use the Icecap Gyrie. I have a feeling my sand bed is going to go nuts in this shallow of a tank.
We'll see....

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting up a very similar build. Same size tank but not custom, mine is made by deep blue. I plan on having similar stocking, mainly LPS and SPS.

For lights I’ve decided to go with two reefi unos. Currently experimenting with one above my 20 gallon long and I really like it for the money. Lots of punch at 188watts, so they should output plenty of light for a mixed reef. Two will run you about $700. Daniel also makes and sells adapters so you can Mount them with the ecotech rms mounts. I do find that for maximum spread you’ll need to hang them fairly high though. So two may not cover well enough with the ecotech mounts. He also sells aluminum extrusion mounting adapters which would allow you to mount them at any desired height.

As for your sump, the first chamber would be skimmer/reactor chamber, though I don’t see a skimmer mentioned at all? Do you plan on running one? Second chamber would be fine in size to grow out some cheato which is what I’m sure the manufacturer intended that chamber’s use for. But I don’t think a refugium are that size is worth it.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back