• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Custom Overflow Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 sheets of acrylic to build myself an overflow box, so to help fund my current build, I used the extra acrylic to build two more identical boxes to sale.

The internal box is around 42" long, 2" wide, and 7.5" tall. The external box is 21" long, 5.75" wide, and 7.5" tall.

They are made from 6mm (.235") cell cast acrylic and very strong.

I euro braced the external box and put internal braces between all 6 of the weirs on the internal box. I rounded over all the edges on the external box so you won't cut your hand reaching in it. The external box has a spacer added to the back so that it will clear the rim on a rimmed off the shelf tank. The internal boxes were hand sanded and buffed, so that the seams can hardly be seen. Commercial acrylic guys rarely take the time to do this on small objects, because of the massive amounts of labor required. These boxes alone took about half a day for me to polish up both of them. They include all bulkheads needed. (2) 2" bulkheads to connect through the tank, (2) extra gaskets for the 2" bulkheads for outside the tank, and (3) 1.5" bulkheads for the drains in the external box.

I have a build thread showing my original overflow being built with several photos of the overflow. The build and actual photos start on the 3rd page. These two for sale are identical.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/148014-tools-working-acrylic.html

Here is a video showing the overflow at 3 different flow levels. 3000 GPH, 2000 GPH, and 700 GPH. (Flow estimated using flow calculator from a popular reefing forum) If tuned properly, the box was completely silent at 2000 GPH, with it still making less noise than the return pump at 3000 GPH.

[video=youtube;oya6X3aLUOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oya6X3aLUOo[/video]

They also include a template, and acrylic bulkhead wrenches for both size bulkhead fittings. They come in really handy when tightening down the 2" bulkheads.

20150411_0133.jpg

One of the wrenches.

IMG_2199.jpg

The template, used to drill out my 120.

20150411_0137.jpg

External box mounted to the back of my 120 after water testing.

I'm very particular about things that I build, especially if I plan to sale them. I feel these are of equal, or better quality than any commercially sold overflow on the market. If you are building an off the shelf (Marineland, All-Glass) 75-210 gallon aquarium, then these are probably the best looking and performing overflow you can get without a custom made tank. The only thing you will need to complete the install is a drill, a glass hole saw (75mm), the plumbing for inside the box (I can help you figure out what you need if you want) and the plumbing to hook it up to your sump.

I am asking $240 a piece for them, and that includes shipping. The bulkheads from BRS alone cost me $50 for each overflow kit. If you have any questions or require additional photos, then just let me know. If they haven't sold in a few days, I am going to post them on ebay, but I wanted to offer them to my R2R family first!

Regards,
Taylor

OP
OP
thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a request, here are some photos of one of the boxes. It still has the paper on it, to keep it from scratching, and is dirty from the rubbing compound, but will clean up perfectly with water and a rag.

20150412_0166.jpg

20150412_0174.jpg

kannon50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I'll will send you a pm when my new tank comes in. Also if I already have a drilled tan can you make one to fit in place of the crappy box already there?

OP
OP
thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I can. I have access to a CNC laser cutter. It is just a matter of inputting the data.

Speaker73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be perfect for my new build except there aren't any teeth on the internal overflow box...really nice though.

OP
OP
thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yea, that was one of my pre-requisites. I didn't want teeth, and they are harder to find without having a custom one made.

OP
OP
thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get it shipped out to you tomorrow. Let me know when you get the tank in, I have got a few suggestions on installing it, based on my own experience installing my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back