Custom Sump

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 Gallon glass Aquarium custom sump is probably 20 year s old. (I bought it used, drilled it and reused it for my use). I'm redoing my fish room, I need more room in my sump.

The sump is the filtration for my 350 gallon in-wall display.

My goals:
1. Drains to filter sock holder (didn't come with a holder and don't have room for a holder - need to add in).
2. Room for a roller mat post filter socks (may run both to extend roller mat life).
3. Room for my large 12-14" Skimmer right after the filter socks.
4. Room for Algae Turf Scrubber that sits over the top of rocks and debris for micro fauna critters to make their homes in (would like close to 100lbs of Rock and rubble here).
5. Room for 2 300 watt heaters.
6. Drilled for external return pump
room to possibly have a sump light in the Rock / rubble area for possible refugium types of stuff in addition to the ATS.

I'm looking for economical as well, but, organized. I've debated 2-3 drilled out 40 gallon breeders and connecting them to get the volume and separation I'd like. I've thought of a Rubbermaid oval stock tank and customizing it.

What would have the room and space to do all this that's in the few hundred dollar range, not thousands range. ;) I like the idea of ready made, but, also am open to custom making and taking time to plan out the new sump correctly. I've always just used what I had and not put much effort into the sump and plumbing. . . One can tell that's what I did. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you thought about looking for a good used Sump in your area? But of course a Rubbermaid stock tank could work! :p Do you care about how it looks or just going more for functionality?

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
functionally more organized than this for maintainence and accessibility of the sump.

Attachments

• PXL_20210319_133704386.jpg
    PXL_20210319_133704386.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I guess maybe I should rephrase the question this way. Where do you get supplies to build your own sump. If I wanted to put things like a filter sock tray in a 75 gallon and seal it so that water flows over and into the filter socks.. Where do I get those types of things?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back