Cute tiny guy making a home out of sand!!

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes so cute, stripy, tiny (mabye 2mm), and is picking up big pieces of sand for his home! What is he? I'm thinking a shrimp of some kind?

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video, but the description sounds like an amphipod.
I was thinking mabye, but when I looked at amphipods their lines are usually vertical and they are more translucent and longer. He is pretty short and has a thick band, horizontal around his middle, and he is pretty white! Its night now and he 's put a grain of sand at the enterance of his hidey hole. I could be hoping against hope, as I would like a mantis :grinning-face-with-sweat:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas Do you think you could ID? Sorry to bug ya! Hope you dont mind.
I don't mind at all - the video is a bit too zoomed out for a proper ID, but my first thought would be an amphipod; other possibilities include isopods, tanaids, shrimp, and juvenile mantis shrimp.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a longer video that shows it more clear?
The clearest is at 21 seconds in the video for anyone interested- you can tell it has a shrimp-like body to it, that it looks black and white (or similar colors), and that it's really fast, but that's about it.

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, but its night here and i think he closed his little hidy-hole with a grain of sand! I havent seen him for a bit but ill try in the morning :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
actually I just saw him!! Unless there are multple I think his hole goes to another bit of the rock!

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went full on hacker mode. heres a slowed down vid and screenshots!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-05 234413.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234413.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2024-02-05 234428.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234428.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2024-02-05 234435.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234435.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2024-02-05 234454.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234454.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Untitled video.mp4
    4.8 MB

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to help id but the screenshots are too blurry and the video won’t work on my iPhone 14…

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to help id but the screenshots are too blurry and the video won’t work on my iPhone 14…
No worries, the photos are really blurry :grinning-face-with-sweat:. Someone said to post the video as an embbeded youtube vid, so if you'd like it, heres that! <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I see from the blurry pics and video is, It doesn't appear to be your standard amphipod. Its got a flat tail fan which most amphipods dont ( that i've seen anyway they typically tuck their tail in a curl). It looks like a mysid shrimp but it doesn't seem to be swimming again blurry and its so fast. Where did the rock come from?

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I see from the blurry pics and video is, It doesn't appear to be your standard amphipod. Its got a flat tail fan which most amphipods dont ( that i've seen anyway they typically tuck their tail in a curl). It looks like a mysid shrimp but it doesn't seem to be swimming again blurry and its so fast. Where did the rock come from?
I dont know where it came from, but I bought from a small fish shop in Ireland, they had a big tank with some of the remaining plugs from their last shipment. If it helps the plug I got has two small feather worms (one white-red, one really dark maroon), these odd tiny purple mushroom things, lots of copepods, coral skeletons and corals, aswell as little chunks of stuff I cant id.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know where it came from, but I bought from a small fish shop in Ireland, they had a big tank with some of the remaining plugs from their last shipment. If it helps the plug I got has two small feather worms (one white-red, one really dark maroon), these odd tiny purple mushroom things, lots of copepods, coral skeletons and corals, aswell as little chunks of stuff I cant id.
Those little mushroom things are macro algae. Leeds me to believe it may have been taken from the ocean maricultured. If so it may be a mantis (its probably not). If it came out of someones tank then probably not a mantis.

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those little mushroom things are macro algae. Leeds me to believe it may have been taken from the ocean maricultured. If so it may be a mantis (its probably not). If it came out of someones tank then probably not a mantis.
Thanks! Do you know the macroalgaes name?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back