Cute tiny guy building a home out of sand!!!

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes so cute, stripy, tiny (mabye 2mm), and is picking up big pieces of sand for his home! What is he? I'm thinking a shrimp of some kind?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hes so cute, stripy, tiny (mabye 2mm), and is picking up big pieces of sand for his home! What is he? I'm thinking a shrimp of some kind?

It might be a baby mantis. I'd keep an eye on it.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh my gosh!! I love mantis shrimps and really wanted to get one but was nevous. If it is, It has the entire tank to itself!
You need to wait until it grows in order to make a proper species ID. Depending on which flavor of mantis it is, it may outgrow the tank. Like I said: keep an eye on it.

**edit**
Egregious typos corrected :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went full on hacker mode. heres a slowed down vid and screenshots! Im desperate to know if its a mantis :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-05 234413.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234413.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot 2024-02-05 234428.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234428.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot 2024-02-05 234435.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234435.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot 2024-02-05 234454.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234454.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Untitled video.mp4
    4.8 MB

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
went full on hacker mode. heres a slowed down vid and screenshots! Im desperate to know if its a mantis :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Can you post these as embedded youtube videos, please. Many of us here will not click on random links or download videos for security reasons.

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post these as embedded youtube videos, please. Many of us here will not click on random links or download videos for security reasons.
Oh, that makes sense! Ill try figure out how, but honestly I just slowed down the vid for fun, you can just kinda see its movements are pretty calculated and jerky.

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does that work? Thanks again, I'll have to post my vids embedded now

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does that work? Thanks again, I'll have to post my vids embedded now

It is hard to tell for sure, but I still think, yes- likely a tiny mantis. There are some species that stay that small, and there are some that will top 15". Hard to tell which one yours is until (or if) it grows. Definitely keep us posted.

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to tell for sure, but I still think, yes- likely a tiny mantis. There are some species that stay that small, and there are some that will top 15". Hard to tell which one yours is until (or if) it grows. Definitely keep us posted.
I will, thanks! Its an empty tank, other than a huge nassarius, cause ive been putting of getting anything. I kinda had my heart set on a mantis but didnt want to pull the trigger. I hope it all works out!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will, thanks! Its an empty tank, other than a huge nassarius, cause ive been putting of getting anything. I kinda had my heart set on a mantis but didnt want to pull the trigger. I hope it all works out!
Goven its size, I would add a bunch of amphipods to make sure it has a food source.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a little amphipod! I have that particular species all over my tank, they construct small burrows out of sand and will pull pieces of food floating by into their burrows. The black markings on its back is a good way to ID, this particular species has black blotches on its back and a white patch as well. Unfortunately not a mantis shrimp, good part of the microfauna though, as they don't get any bigger than that

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best quality video, it’s pretty grainy, but I don’t think it looks like a mantis from
What I saw.

I recently got 3 in my liverock order, they move differently.

Do you hear snapping/popping from the tank?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a little amphipod! I have those all over my tank, they construct small burrows out of sand and will pull pieces of food floating by into their burrows. The black markings on its back is a good way to ID, this particular species has black blotches on its back and a white patch as well. Unfortunately not a mantis shrimp, good part of the microfauna though, as they don't get any bigger than that
Yea I’m gonna second that I think it’s an amphipod.

The motion of it is too jerky for a mantis but moves exactly like amphipods

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best quality video, it’s pretty grainy, but I don’t think it looks like a mantis from
What I saw.

I recently got 3 in my liverock order, they move differently.

Do you hear snapping/popping from the tank?
Ive heard one or two tiny cracking noises but it could be a placebo
You got a little amphipod! I have that particular species all over my tank, they construct small burrows out of sand and will pull pieces of food floating by into their burrows. The black markings on its back is a good way to ID, this particular species has black blotches on its back and a white patch as well. Unfortunately not a mantis shrimp, good part of the microfauna though, as they don't get any bigger than that
Ahh well, its cute so even if its not a mantis im still happy!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good call.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back