Cutting brittle star in half?

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 17, 2019
Messages
2,408
Reaction score
11,329
Location
Zanesville
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green brittle star and I’m curious that if I cut it in half both halves would live. I am not saying that I will do it, I’m just curious if it could be done.
 
image.jpg
 
Why would you like to do that? To propagate?
 
Why would you like to do that? To propagate?

I posted this thread back when my brittle was sick and figured I wanted to try it because I thought it was going to die anyways. Luckily, it pulled through and survived.

Heres some before/ after photos of when it was sick
d385f9f40fae79fc6213aee398730d91.jpg
2d3efc860cc1abbe836facd005f0d796.jpg
 
Some brittle stars reproduce by fission where they split themselves in half, but like nems, its after they have duplicated a mouth and organs etc. Id imagine if you were able to split the mouth and the central disc evenly, you would probably get 2 surviving brittle stars. I personally wouldnt do it for fun though but it if may help a sick one, then worth a shot.
I only read about 1 person halving a chocolate chip (one half had 3 legs the other had 2). He posted some pics on day one and reported both sides were intact, moving and healing on days 2 and 3 but never supported it with more pics or info so idk if or for how long one or both halves survived. He did try to get the mouth split evenly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new