Cutting down a tank

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've started to sell coral at local shows and used a 20 long filled about half way. But I want a shorter tank, but don't want to spend money on a frag tank just for the shows.

I have a couple extra 20 longs in my garage, so I was thinking....

Is it possible to cut the sides length wise to shorten the tank?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've started to sell coral at local shows and used a 20 long filled about half way. But I want a shorter tank, but don't want to spend money on a frag tank just for the shows.

I have a couple extra 20 longs in my garage, so I was thinking....

Is it possible to cut the sides length wise to shorten the tank?
If the glass isn’t tempered you can. But you will most likely want to disassemble the tank to do so. Cutting non tempered glass is pretty easy. Just score it with glass cutter and snap it.

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the glass isn’t tempered you can. But you will most likely want to disassemble the tank to do so. Cutting non tempered glass is pretty easy. Just score it with glass cutter and snap it.
Thats what I thought.

I'm not going to completely take it apart. My plan right now is to remove the trim on top. Use a wire to cut the silicone down to the new height, score and snap the panels off, put the trim back on.

I don't trust myself to silicone it back together. So if I ruin a tank that's been sitting in my garage, oh well

JeffH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon tanks are pretty inexpensive. Cutting down a 20 long will certainly make for a unique shape.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I thought.

I'm not going to completely take it apart. My plan right now is to remove the trim on top. Use a wire to cut the silicone down to the new height, score and snap the panels off, put the trim back on.

I don't trust myself to silicone it back together. So if I ruin a tank that's been sitting in my garage, oh well
if you have a few laying around why not try? For a big tank I wouldn’t risk it but if I had a bunch small tanks around I think it would be easy. Just were clean gloves when touch glass. Clean the glass with a alcohol or acetone. Tape lines to keep silicone clean.

i personally think taking it apart will take a bit longer but will be less frustrating and end with higher success.

but do what your comfortable with and let us know how it went

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon tanks are pretty inexpensive. Cutting down a 20 long will certainly make for a unique shape.

I want to cut it down because I want it to be shallower, but keep the 30in length. A normal 10g tank is just as tall as a 20 long, so that's not an option.

Ordered the glass cutter from the local hardware store yesterday and it came in today. Hopefully tonight I get a chance to give it a shot.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you use something rigid to apply pressure to the entire length of glass you're trying to cut otherwise there's a good chance the break could trail off and ruin it.

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please document your efforts so we can all learn from this experience. I am planning to modify a 40 gallon breeder tank to only be 7 inches wide soon (for an ATO).

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be very hard, probably impossiblr to cut glass panels on assembled tank.

Dont know glass thickness, but its very hard to apply pressure and score in one motion, and there snap glass, if panel itself is not on flat and hard surface.

This way, glass where u cut is basicaly in the air....

Best way is to lay glass in hard surface, straight, with some soft cloth or similar, score glass in one motion, then lift panel, and put something few mm height underneath glass where u score, and then simply apply preasure on both sides. This work great for thinner glass, up to 6mm, for 8 and 10mm, its best to apply preasure until you see that crack is expanding along the line, then put this "plug" on oposite side and do the same, meaning you dont want to snap it completely, just to expand scoring line, when u do both sides, and line connects, then u snap it completely....

Also, angle of cutter is also important, u need to go straight and vertical as possible, if u lean cutter on one or another side, glass will not break straight, u will have to sand, also, the thicker the glass, the more carefull u need to be....

If you properly dissasemble tank and cut glass, siliconing it again is child game.....

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so it didn't work out.

I got the trim off no issues. I cut the silicone from between the seams down to the 7in mark. This was the easy part.

I then marked the panels with tape. I tried scoring the glass with while using a straight edge, but it was very awkward since I wasn't working with a single panel. So i free handed the scoring line. I scored the panel as best I could, and could hear the "zipper" sound with each pass. I had to make multiple passes since the glass was thicker than recommended for the tool.

I was able to cut and break 2 panels no issue. The third when I went to snap it, it was kind of wonky, but I think I made two separate scoring lines and it broke along two lines. It was something the trim would hide when I put it back on.

On the final panel I thought I had it scored enough, but should have made another pass. I went to snap it off, and was needing to use much more pressure than the other panels. I should have stopped, but didn't. I leaned into it just a little more and it snapped off. Ended up cracking the good part down from where the top would be down about 3in into what I wanted to use.

Can this be done. I think so. Like I said, I should have done another scoring pass and I think it would have been fine.

Would I do it again. NO! I would get 1or 2 diamond coated wheels and a dremel. This would have made cutting the glass without disassembling the tank much easier.

And I emailed my LFS about a tank that is 30x12x6. Turns out Aquarium Masters makes one and he'll get me price.

The tank I broke had been sitting in my basement or garage for at least a year. I learned what not to do if I try something like this next time.

If you wanted to cut down a 10g tank, I would do it the way in the below video

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get it, really.....

Watching youtube videos dont make expert of anything, anyone.....

Probably u read here, that this way is very hard, almost impossible, even if u have adequate tools, but mostly, skill...

You NEVER score twice, one motion, equal pressure and angle - thats how glass is meant to be cutted.... And no, you dont even need to hear scoring, quality "knives" are lubricated and often dont produce sound when scoring....

Depending on glass thickness, if glass is properly scored, there is so little preassure needed for glass to snap....

Even 10mm glass is easy to snap, even with hands, but always is better to use pliers made for that purpose....

Sorry that it didnt work, but, i told you.... ;)

Dont worry, if u want to learn, now u have scrap glass to practice.... Mine first attempt to cut 2mm glass was dissaster, but with every new piece, it was easier.... now i'm confident to cut up to 12mm without worries....

Thicker glass still scares me ;)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 54 42.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.5%
Back