Cutting glass

SmokeyCFH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best way (aside from paying someone) to cut 1/2" glass? I've got a 135g glass tank that is cracked on one side and the bottom and if I could I'd like to maybe make a cube out of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just score it, but I have never cut glass before. Keep in mind thick glass is strong, so this will be a major PITA to score and break

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, score and break. You need to train your hands for the pressure and even score, so LOTS of practice. YouTube can show you more tips to help snap the score all the way through before you break it.

It's an art, and a little scary, especially at first.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you do this you better video it for us! HAHA!

OP
OP
SmokeyCFH

SmokeyCFH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha yeah that'll be a comedy video for sure....I'll have to watch my mouth though lol.

And as far as scoring it...same depth as I would any other glass or should I go more?

Rigox2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut 1/2" starphire glass from a tank that its seals had given out wanted to turn it in to a frag tank so i just unglued the panels and took a glass cutter and scored both sides. It was very nerve reckoning but it came out fine. I would say that you should practice on a couple of cheap small pieces of glass.

OP
OP
SmokeyCFH

SmokeyCFH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut 1/2" starphire glass from a tank that its seals had given out wanted to turn it in to a frag tank so i just unglued the panels and took a glass cutter and scored both sides. It was very nerve reckoning but it came out fine. I would say that you should practice on a couple of cheap small pieces of glass.

Cool man thanks! I appreciate the help. Oceanside huh...planet pizza or whatever it's called lol

passion4reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a wet saw that you would use for cutting tile. Works like a dream and you dont need to worry about scoring

passion4reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cut 1\4 inch glass for my overflows all the time with it. it will work with 1\8 window glass but you need a new blade and lots of water and go very slow. i like it better then the old score and snap way because if you dont score it evenly or use the right pressure when you snap it you will get an uneven break. it also leaves a dull edge so you dont cut your self on the freshly cut edge.

reefman46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well being a glass cutter my self i have cut 1/2" 3/4", clear plate glass all you need is a nice lubricated cutter they do sell the ones where you could fill them up i had one that used kerosene for a lubricant. the way you hold a glass cutter is like holding a pencil do not put pressure on the cutter all you need is just enough pressure to scribe the glass put the end of the cutter under the cut place hands on the side of the cut and push down until it snaps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back