Cutting Reef Saver Rock

Scorpion44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers

I'm in the process of building out my second tank and wanted to do a NSA. I wanted to see if anyone had any success in cutting reef saver rock to use as foundation rock. I'm thinking of building a jig for my miter saw and using either a tile cutting blade or a diamond fiber coated masonry blade to cut a pretty level bottom instead of purchasing the foundation rock. Success or failures, I'd love to hear it.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cut a few chunks of mine with a wet saw for tile. Worked great. A couple chunks I could only get a little more then halfway into when cutting, I would turn them over if I could and run another cut as close as I could eyeball to the first and give it a smack with a hammer. They mostly broke nice and clean along where I wanted them too.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut some rocks using a 4-1/2" diamond masonry blade on my cordless grinder. Was able to cut the bottom flat too.

The blade was about $30, but I had already purchased it previously to cut some paver stones for a backyard firepit project.

OP
OP
Scorpion44

Scorpion44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut some rocks using a 4-1/2" diamond masonry blade on my cordless grinder. Was able to cut the bottom flat too.

The blade was about $30, but I had already purchased it previously to cut some paver stones for a backyard firepit project.
I thought about using my angle grinder, but figured I'd get strung up by the safety police. Thanks for the insight!

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my stone cutting setup. cuts into marco rock and similar like butter.
20200525_163638.jpg

HPfunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told a simple hack saw would work and I’m inclined to think it would cut old coral skeleton like butter. I’m planning on trying it on old live rock to build a NSA. I don’t have any experience with artificial rock so I can’t speak how that might work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back