Cutting tricky ceramic frag plugs?

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have suggestions for cutting the stems off ceramic style frag plugs molded like below?

Prefer to do that when the coral has already encrusted. Typical plugs are pretty easy with any bone cutter etc., but these seem to be tricky while still controlling and not damaging the coral!

D6A40488-EF79-48FD-997B-5F87DEF6CD78.jpeg

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if fully encrusted acro, I position my bone cutters on the stem, use a finger or two to apply a bit of downard pressure on a top edge or secure around the rim and clip the stem straight into the garbage can.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dremels are just so dang messy with corals and plugs...I wish I had a mini paint or fume hood.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a tile nipper. Works great, but isn't 100% precise. You may end up with a little nub left over that makes the bottom 'Sorta flat with a slight tilt'

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Dremel with a cutoff wheel would be an option.
was going to say this. it doesn't happen often but i found using bonecutters with some resilient plugs they don't necessarily split where you want them to or the squeeze needed to get it to break sends the coral flying.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was going to say this. it doesn't happen often but i found using bonecutters with some resilient plugs they don't necessarily split where you want them to or the squeeze needed to get it to break sends the coral flying.
A touch of downward pressure on the frag and upward pressure on the cutters will keep the coral secure after snipping.

OP
OP
HBtank

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A touch of downward pressure on the frag and upward pressure on the cutters will keep the coral secure after snipping.
This is the part that gets me, seems like with these denser ceramic plugs the force needed to cut it causes it to project away from the cutters, and it’s hard to “secure” or protect the encrusted side.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aim the lower stem over a garbage can and just worry about securing the top and let the bottom shoot into the garbage.

OP
OP
HBtank

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the tile snippers, maybe I just need to create a safer landing spot with some tank water and maybe a plastic bag on the bottom

OP
OP
HBtank

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aim the lower stem over a garbage can and just worry about securing the top and let the bottom shoot into the garbage.
That’s what I do as well with typical plugs, but if fully encrusted it’s hard (or maybe impossible without damaging) to secure, and just the amount of force I have had to apply on these style plugs has made it difficult to control with just fingers. Maybe I just need a better tool and wear a glove.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no dremel then just sack up snip them with bone cutters..hold your free hand over the snipped part like a hood right above a surface. I use towel on a table so they don't fall on anything hard...no broken frags yet. It still leaves that little "step in" part but that glues to other plugs just fine.

20221211_080256.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back