Cyan/Cream Mantis Shrimp ID?

Antyama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently set up a second tank because I finally was able to get a Mantis Shrimp that's not a peacock. (which is hard here in europe apparently!)
He is around 8cm, maybe a tad smaller and is missing one of his dactyl. It's color is a cyan to cream and the meral spot is seemingly either cream or feintly yellow.
I suspect it's of the genus Gonodactylaceus, because its tail looks very much like a g. falcatus/glabrous/ternatensis.
The seller informed me that they initially thought that it was a O. Scylarrus but it totally changed color after a molt according to them.
As mentioned before, my bet is on a G. Falcatus, or G. Glabrous but the meral spot is really very very faintly yellow even if that. It seems more white/cream, which would contradict the orange spots of the aforementioned species.

Help would be much appreciated, I've attached several pictures!

IMG_20220810_173122.jpg IMG_20220810_171906 - Kopie.jpg IMG_20220803_113336.jpg

Attachments

• 45861286012-offset-13404 (1) (1).mp4
    7.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like empress mandarin

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have a very unusual G. falcatus color morph. But it is definitely not G.glabrous. Do you know where it came from? Indonesia? Philippines?

OP
OP
Antyama

Antyama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have a very unusual G. falcatus color morph. But it is definitely not G.glabrous. Do you know where it came from? Indonesia? Philippines?
Hi, I sadly don't have an origin region, but I kind of suspect it to be a G.Ternatensis, since I've seen a blue colormorph on the internet named "Chuck" where he also lacks the distinct orange/yellow meral spot, so it might be related that they have weaker color intensity on the merals when their body is pale/blueish. Tho that is prolly not exclusively the case with g. Ternatensis only.

I've been feeding it a small piece of enriched shrimp every day for the past week and the meral spot has slowly gotten a bit more yellow. He further has refused food since 2 days ago, so he hopefully will molt soon!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back