Cyano algae

Rooster66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone just joined the site from the UK and after some advice.

I currently have a Red Sea reefer 425 XL wHich I was running on the Red Sea reef care programme. After seeing some of the stunning tanks on this site that are run on Aqua Forest, in particular Perry,s I decided to make the switch.

For the past 3 weeks I have been changing about 10% water of my tank water with AF probiotic and running a 3 stack reactor with AF zeo, carbon and phos. I also have a second reactor with 1000ml of life bio fill. I have a bubble magus curve 7 pulling out the gunk and dosing 4 drops of np pro and pro bio s per day

I am dosing AF 1, 2 & 3 but as of yet only actually dosing 15 ml per day of part 2 which keeps my all at 7.3.

Feeding wise I am feeding the fish 2 frozen cubes a day and the corals alternate days AF energy & build and vitality & amino.

Since changing over my sand is covered in what I believe is a bad outbreak of cyano and any help to sort it out would be great fully appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Rooster66

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little correction.
Cyano is not algae as most people think so. It actually bacteria.
In order to rid it. You will need to cut off lights for few days along with near zero nitrates and phos which fuels the bacteria along with carbon dosing that also fuels it. Then increase flow in areas you see it the most.
This should rid it eventually. There are few antibiotics out there in the market that clears it up as well like chemi clean but it has been reported by few hobbyists to hace negetive effect on corals.

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for flow production other than the return pump?

OP
OP
R

Rooster66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dr Reef, I'll turn off the lights and switch off my reactors until it clears.

Divid - for flow on the back glass of the tank on one side of the overflow box I have a Jecod RW8 on the other side I have a reef tide 6000, the flow being directed towards the front of the tank. On one end of the tank I have a Jacob CP55 going length ways, however I only have the flow of the CP55 set on number 2.

I'll try and post some pictures soon

Rooster66

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good I'm no expert, mostly was curious due to quite a few people having fixed their cyano with an increase in flow(in the effected area).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back