Cyano Assistance Needed

Daniel C.

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2020
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am a novice I have a 75 gallon tank that has been up for about four months. I am having a Cyano issue. For fish I currently have, 3 chromies, 3 fire fish, 1 scooter blenny, 1 diamond goby, 1 chocolate chip starfish, 1 sally lightfoot crab, and 1 clownfish. I went to my local fish place and my water results were as follows: Ammonia - .75, Nitrites - 0, PH - 7.4, Nitrates - 15, Phosphates - 0. I currently have a protein skimmer that is rated for a 110 gallon tank as a HOB as well as a filter with active charcoal and PVC substrate rated for a 110 gallon tank as a HOB. I have two power heads, one in the back going down the length of the tank and one on the opposite side front corner pointed up. I am having an algae issue especially with Cyano and I need help. I have attached a pic of the current tank. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Daniel C.

20200420_142205.jpg
 
Cyano likes light and hates flow. You can adjust accordingly. Siphon out the cyano.
You might also think about getting a piece of live rock from a fellow reefer or a small easy to grow coral. They both will come with some good alage like coralline. When that starts coating the rock it will be hard for other things like cyano to grow. It will out compete the cyano for nutrients.
A few notes here.
If you are feeding the fish you will have some P04 in a new tank.
Your ammonia is high. I dont understand why it is that way, since your fish are not suffering. Maybe an LFS testing error
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new