I had cyano in my holding tank due to lack of flow...my extra powerhead is being used on another holding tank since the magnet busted off the thing. It was a 55 gallon w/ a 55 sump.
i just stop feeding once every 7 days for a 2 day dark period. SO my tanks get 7 days light, 2 days dark and hungry. Mollies will eat the stuff, its hard finding stuff they WONT eat. lol.
Im not sure if its the dark or the hungry that makes the cyano go away, but it keeps coming back in small amounts. I know it is because of the lack of an extra powerhead...however my duncan coral is in heaven and its head is huge
I am always weary of chemicals or liquids since the last experience with medicating my fish early on in the hobby. The LFS gave me Melafix when i was asking about copper...he said he uses it and loves it...well it killed the parasites...and the fish. I would hate a repeat of that. ITs hard to predict how many actual gallons of water your tank is when a 10lb rock from X will take up more volume than the rock from Y...so you really have to measure every rock (and large animal) that you put in the water column.
say juan valdez has a 75 gallon with a 40b sump. He adds 110 lbs of rock and a DSB in the big tank. HE may think in his head that he has a Total volume of 110, or if he takes the rock into account estimates 75 gallons, when in reality his rock and sand have made his TWV only 50 gallons, he could easily over dose, How many people actually keep track of the watervolume their rock displaces? I will next time...now that i mentioned it lol