Cyano blown all over tank?

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I was moving around some corals and noticed a small mat of cyano behind one coral. I stupidly decided to blow the Cyano of the rock and ofcourse it went straight into my wavemaker, got shredded to bits and blown all over my tank...
Is there anything I can do at this point or should I just leave it? Does it pose a danger to my corals or fish in any way?
I dont have any saltwater ready to do a water change, but I have set my skimmer to pull wet foam. Also I run two filtersocks which should grab the bigger pieces.
Thanks for any advice!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reduce lights and assure your nitrate and phosphates are not elevated. Clean your filter socks well and even consider adding a small pouch of chemipure elite which will assist in keeping this at bay. Margarita, nassarius and cerith snails are good addition in cyano management

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce lights and assure your nitrate and phosphates are not elevated. Clean your filter socks well and even consider adding a small pouch of chemipure elite which will assist in keeping this at bay. Margarita, nassarius and cerith snails are good addition in cyano management

Thanks for the reply! I will keep an eye on the nutrients and stay on top of cleaning mechanical filters for now! If any issues rise I will buy Chemipure to help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If it gets out of hand:
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back