Cyano

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all I have a decent layer of cyano in the sand bed and I do have 3 nassarius snails but it seems like they fail to stir the sand. Would a sand sifting starfish help with this?
Any thoughts ?
Thank you

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure it would contribute to moving some sand, but over all that won’t solve the problem. Take a good look at your parameters find out the issue and correct that.
Post your parameters and maybe explain your tank routines then you can work on the real issue of the cyano.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sure it would contribute to moving some sand, but over all that won’t solve the problem. Take a good look at your parameters find out the issue and correct that.
Post your parameters and maybe explain your tank routines then you can work on the real issue of the cyano.
Appreciate the help!

salinity level is 1.025
Ph Ranges from approximately 8.0-8.2

nitrate has been dropping,
Originally after water changes it would be about 10-20 ppm
Now nitrate is reading at .05 ppm

Finally I do a weekly 5 gallon water change in my 29 gallon tank. Every week I siphon 1/4 of the sand and clean the tank on Saturdays

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the help!

salinity level is 1.025

Finally I do a weekly 5 gallon water change in my 29 gallon tank. Every week I siphon 1/4 of the sand and clean the tank on Saturdays
What about phosphate?

With nitrate that low you don’t really need weekly water changes.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is usually caused by elevated phosphates and extremely low nitrates. Increase your flow or use a turkey baster to break up build up. Find where you are deficient in nutrients, balance out. As with all evolutions in the aquarium, this is not an over night evolution. Use this experience to build on your current tank husbandry and fine tune you parameter monitoring. Good luck!

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solved mine by overfeeding and overdosing carbon. Nitrates are at zero as often not recommended and phosphates under 0.25. Have concluded that perhaps having ammonium constantly introduced being the key based on my experience. Did have to filter it out first but no recurrence

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of Cyano on my sand bed. It's been there for months. I have chemiclean but I'm not in a hurry to use it. I'm hoping I can get rid of it naturally first. But it's not working. Recently my nitrates dropped from 10ppm to 3ppm. My phosphates are always at 0.03 . I started to get dynoflaglates. I've gotten passed the dinos for the most part with UV and h202 and microbacter 7 but the Cyano remains. Nitrates are back up to 10ppm phosphates are at 0.05 I've been dosing nitrates and phosphates to the system. I've also turned down the lights cleaned the skimmer replaced the RO membrane and RO filters and I still can't get rid of the Cyano. I'm very tempted to just use that chemiclean. Anyone have any ideas? Something I haven't thought of. I also run my tank on the cold side. At 77 degrees F

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of Cyano on my sand bed. It's been there for months. I have chemiclean but I'm not in a hurry to use it. I'm hoping I can get rid of it naturally first. But it's not working. Recently my nitrates dropped from 10ppm to 3ppm. My phosphates are always at 0.03 . I started to get dynoflaglates. I've gotten passed the dinos for the most part with UV and h202 and microbacter 7 but the Cyano remains. Nitrates are back up to 10ppm phosphates are at 0.05 I've been dosing nitrates and phosphates to the system. I've also turned down the lights cleaned the skimmer replaced the RO membrane and RO filters and I still can't get rid of the Cyano. I'm very tempted to just use that chemiclean. Anyone have any ideas? Something I haven't thought of. I also run my tank on the cold side. At 77 degrees F
How often are you manually removing the cyano from the sand, and how quickly does it come back? Is it in specific spots or everywhere?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the help!

salinity level is 1.025

0 nitrate and elevated phosphate makes a perfect environment for cyano

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? Do you mean dinoflagellates?

Cyano can get nitrogen from the atmosphere so they are more or less not limited by it. Dinos have a suspected correlation with 0 phosphate but probably not 0 nitrates from threads and my experience

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back