Sea Star/Starfish suggestion for 40 gallon (36"x20"x14") mixed reef????

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for Sea Star/Starfish suggestion for 40 gallon (36"x20"x14") mixed reef????

I love the classic starfish look and colorful would be great! I will have 1" sand bed.

Any tips on feeding, fish to avoid, etc. etc. appreciated?

Last edited:

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serpent stars are really the only ones with a good survival rate in captivity. Fromias, and linckias (aka the blue and red ones) have very poor survival rates. In a very established tank you could try a sand sifting one but the tank needs to mature a lot before hand.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serpent stars are really the only ones with a good survival rate in captivity. Fromias, and linckias (aka the blue and red ones) have very poor survival rates. In a very established tank you could try a sand sifting one but the tank needs to mature a lot before hand.
And at any maturity level IMO a sand sifting star will eventually starve in a 40g tank

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astrenia stars do well…
Unironically if you are mostly into starfish, there are local reefers that would likely give you several dozen small asterina starfish to put in your tank. They're considered neutral/a coral pest by many, but they're much more canonical starfish

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unironically if you are mostly into starfish, there are local reefers that would likely give you several dozen small asterina starfish to put in your tank. They're considered neutral/a coral pest by many, but they're much more canonical starfish
I’ve always tossed them myself if I saw one… I actually found one in my tank the other night on the glass and left him.. it was as big as a quarter and I’ve never saw one that size! He was pretty cool so I let him live! It even had all its legs and didn’t look deformed haha!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always tossed them myself if I saw one… I actually found one in my tank the other night on the glass and left him.. it was as big as a quarter and I’ve never saw one that size! He was pretty cool so I let him live! It even had all its legs and didn’t look deformed haha!
I always joke that if you have asterinas and show a non-hobbyist your tank their first reaction is always "OMG LOOK AT ALL THE BEAUTIFUL LITTLE STARFISH" without knowing it's a point of personal shame for you haha

OP
OP
D

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be starting tank with mostly dry rock at and some VERY established live rock at first from my current tanks. Sounds like starfish are generally not a good fit for me AND sergeant stars kinda creep me out so I think I"ll be passing on starfish.

Last edited:

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittle or Serpent Stars are winners (no green). However, some serpents can get big. I would stay away from sand sifting stars. They need a dirty tank with a 6 inch sandbed to even have a chance of surviving. No chocolate chip, no fromia, no feather and no linckia either IMO. As stated, hard to keep and/or not reef safe.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back