Starting a new Red Sea tank - Some questions for cycling?

Nadiaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a Red Sea Max e170 tank, and i have some questions for the start.

I am doing a mix between Caribsea shape rocks and real live rocks (from a tank that has been running several years) with a lot of starfish, bristeworms, feather dusters and so on. I have the live rocks in a box with flow, heater and light, while i set up the aquarium. I feed them liquid Mysis (just a small amount) once a week.
For the sand i am going with Caribsea Argan alive Fiji pink.

1. When i put it all together in the tank and start the cycling process, would it be okay to use the skimmer right away? Will it make sense?

2. How many hours of light do i give the tank per day, while it is cycling?

In my media rack i will be using:
Maxspect Nano-tech Bio-sphere
Red Sea Reef- Spec carbon
Some filtermedia for big particles and som for tiny particles

I will be using a D-D Titanium heater 250W with the D-D Dual heating & Cooling controller.

For circulation (beside the Red Sea return pump) i will be using the Tunze 6040 Nanostream + controller.

The light will be the Red Sea ReefLED 90. I have plans to keep mostly soft corals and LPS. Maybe just a few SPS in the top og the tank.

Does this setup sound okay? Am i missing something at the moment?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nadiaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have rock from a mature system ready to go, just add water to your tank and the rocks and you will be all ready to go. There will be no cycle as the rock is already mature.

Skimmer to start in this case, yes
Thank you for your feedback :) I thought the tank should cycle with live rocks as well. I will be following the water parameters closely after setting it up, and we will see when it is ready for some fish :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back