Pump or Gyre for 36"x19"X14" shallow tank for mixed reef with medium/coarse sand???

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions for what to use for flow for 36"x19"X14" shallow tank for mixed reef with medium/coarse sand.

This is a rimless tank and I would love to limit visual distraction so smaller profiles and/or one pump preferred (but I can do two if necessary. I would like to stay under $400 or less TOTAL.

Thank you! Doug

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a single gyre would do just fine mounted on one of the short ends. You'll want to mount it near the water's surface, and obviously tune the power down as needed to prevent sand storm.

Have you considered bare bottom? It's gonna be hard to keep sand still in that shallow of a tank with any decent amount of flow

OP
OP
D

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a single gyre would do just fine mounted on one of the short ends. You'll want to mount it near the water's surface, and obviously tune the power down as needed to prevent sand storm.

Have you considered bare bottom? It's gonna be hard to keep sand still in that shallow of a tank with any decent amount of flow

I'm assuming your suggesting mounting it horizontally on the shorter side?

I really like the look of sand and some of the sand sifting fish so I'd like totry to make sand work?

Would mounting it vertically on the corner of the back wall directed across the back wall be a better option to prevent problems with the sand?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming your suggesting mounting it horizontally on the shorter side?

I really like the look of sand and some of the sand sifting fish so I'd like totry to make sand work?

Would mounting it vertically on the corner of the back wall directed across the back wall be a better option to prevent problems with the sand?
probably not because then the edge of the gyre closest to the sand will tend to suck in sand if turned up to any meaningful power level. worth a try, though! You could also try a mp10 or mp40. What corals are you keeping? If not SPS, you can probably get away with very little additional flow.

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just mounted a gyre to an IM 30L 35x15x13 so it's not as big. I went with an inexpensive hygger 18w that moves 1850gph. I'm very impressed short term. This is in my classroom tank so it needs to be somewhat...low maintenance. Currently only has some softies in it, though I'm going to add an anemone for the clowns. Mostly likely a bta, but could go with a sebae. I've got it on the short end and it seems to do an excellent job of creating movement. Fwiw, this is my first experience using a gyre. But I'm satisfied enough to get another for the 28 lowboy I'm also going to be setting up.

OP
OP
D

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mounted a gyre to an IM 30L 35x15x13 so it's not as big. I went with an inexpensive hygger 18w that moves 1850gph. I'm very impressed short term. ..... I've got it on the short end and it seems to do an excellent job of creating movement. Fwiw, this is my first experience using a gyre. But I'm satisfied enough to get another for the 28 lowboy I'm also going to be setting up.

GREAT! How has it been for maintainance. I hear gyres require a lot of maitainace and have to be taken apart to clean. What 's your experience so far.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions are fine for a single gyre. I run a single gyre on mine. You see two in there, but one is off. I will eventually turn it on, because once you have a lot of growth, you'll want a second pump to keep flow more even. But for a long while you'll be fine with one.
1710802646034.jpeg

Ignore the acclimation box. The clown is out of jail now. The one gyre on the right provides all of the flow beyond the return pumps. The one on the left is a half-gyre that will eventually be used and is a half so that it doesn't blow right into Nem Island.

I'm currently running an xf330, but previous ran a Jump 2K, which also worked just fine, and would consider a jebao scp-70 as well.

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GREAT! How has it been for maintainance. I hear gyres require a lot of maitainace and have to be taken apart to clean. What 's your experience so far.
Unfortunately I've only been running it for one week so I can't speak to it's longevity nor maintenance.

OP
OP
D

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions are fine for a single gyre. I run a single gyre on mine. You see two in there, but one is off. I will eventually turn it on, because once you have a lot of growth, you'll want a second pump to keep flow more even. But for a long while you'll be fine with one.
1710802646034.jpeg

Ignore the acclimation box. The clown is out of jail now. The one gyre on the right provides all of the flow beyond the return pumps. The one on the left is a half-gyre that will eventually be used and is a half so that it doesn't blow right into Nem Island.

I'm currently running an xf330, but previous ran a Jump 2K, which also worked just fine, and would consider a jebao scp-70 as well.

Beautiful coral in your tank. Looks like you have mix of softies, LPS and SPS. How do you keep the flow correct for both the higher flow needs of the SPS and lower flow needs of the softies and LPS. What program, mode, speed, etc do you use.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful coral in your tank. Looks like you have mix of softies, LPS and SPS. How do you keep the flow correct for both the higher flow needs of the SPS and lower flow needs of the softies and LPS. What program, mode, speed, etc do you use.
Flow is my biggest struggle. Rearrangement, lots of it. The meatier corals had to be under the gyre in the right side since the left side gets more force coming from the glass bounce-back. In fact, the hammer and the octo also were previously further left and had to be relocated. The zoas and shrooms dont' seem to mind too much. The flow at the top is pretty decent for the sticks, but perhaps a bit higher than optimal for the BTAs since they both lost their bubbles. Still look great. Gyre is set to forward and reverse. I just set the %s to whatever was giving good flow and creating fewer sand dunes. Sand coral and rock placement help disrupt the sand movement. Lots of trial and error. But a single gyre is working OK, and I can always increase the %s if needed.

OP
OP
D

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is my biggest struggle. Rearrangement, lots of it. The meatier corals had to be under the gyre in the right side since the left side gets more force coming from the glass bounce-back. In fact, the hammer and the octo also were previously further left and had to be relocated. The zoas and shrooms dont' seem to mind too much. The flow at the top is pretty decent for the sticks, but perhaps a bit higher than optimal for the BTAs since they both lost their bubbles. Still look great. Gyre is set to forward and reverse. I just set the %s to whatever was giving good flow and creating fewer sand dunes. Sand coral and rock placement help disrupt the sand movement. Lots of trial and error. But a single gyre is working OK, and I can always increase the %s if needed.

Thank you for the update and details. That's super helpful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back